Nunn's Log

Discuss online journals with trainers and training peers

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Nunn's Log

Post by Jason Nunn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 pm

Feel free to give comments or constructive criticism.

User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 pm

ahhh, You are pretty flippin strong.

Good Work



Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch... :wink:

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch.
Haha, I do compete in strongman so you'll probably see both lol.

User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Jason Nunn wrote:
Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch.
Haha, I do compete in strongman so you'll probably see both lol.
That is about the only place my 505 deadlift would count is strongman.

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 am

You requested depth comments - it did look like the first three were a bit high, but then you settled in and got deeper.

Feels weird to say that to someone squatting more than twice what I do but there you have it.

By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:41 pm

pdellorto wrote:You requested depth comments - it did look like the first three were a bit high, but then you settled in and got deeper.

Feels weird to say that to someone squatting more than twice what I do but there you have it.

By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.
Thanks Peter. I thought the same thing. It is worth noting though that the camera is at a low angle. It may make them look higher?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm

pdellorto wrote:By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.
Haha, thats funny because I've always wanted to try MMA!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Though better than 99% of the people who squat, I'd have to agree with Pete that I think the squats are a touch high. I don't think a single would be considered legal.

That being said, damn nice work, though.

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am

Jason Nunn wrote:Thanks Peter. I thought the same thing. It is worth noting though that the camera is at a low angle. It may make them look higher?
It might, but they definitely get deeper the further into the set.

Jason Nunn wrote:Haha, thats funny because I've always wanted to try MMA!
If I was good at any other sport, I'd have done that instead. But I have to admit training full contact has always been really fun for me. It make it all come together, and you know you're doing it right because no one will let you do that stuff full-power on them just to make you feel good about yourself.

Still, I tell kids at the gym who ask me about MMA that they should stick to football/baseball/basketball...a poorly paid pro football player gets a lot more than most well-paid MMA fighters. :)

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm

pdellorto wrote:Still, I tell kids at the gym who ask me about MMA that they should stick to football/baseball/basketball...a poorly paid pro football player gets a lot more than most well-paid MMA fighters. :)
Yeah had my run at football. Too bad college was the end of the road for me. And as far as pay goes, a poorly paid MMA fighter still gets more than most well - paid strongmen :frown:

If I were in it for money, I wouldn't have choosen strongman.

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

But in strongman, you never get into a face-punching contest. ;)


By the way, what kind of program are you doing? From the rep and weights, it looks like 5/3/1. Is it that or something else?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Sort of. I've modified it to include conditioning and olympic lifts

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Jason Nunn wrote:Sort of. I've modified it to include conditioning and olympic lifts
Fair enough. I've done it as the method for the ME day at my gym, and I do a once-a-week trap bar deadlift with it. As a complete system, it's clearly good stuff, but just the 5/3/1 percentages and progression works on its own.

I have a friend doing a starter routine, as soon as he stalls I'll have him switching over to 5/3/1. :)

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:55 am

Yeah 531 is pretty much what I've always done anyways (before it was "531"). It's the same system we used when I was coaching. We just didn't call it that.lol. It's nice to have a simple system to just plug numbers in. It's pretty idiot proof.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Jason Nunn wrote:Yeah 531 is pretty much what I've always done anyways (before it was "531"). It's the same system we used when I was coaching. We just didn't call it that.lol. It's nice to have a simple system to just plug numbers in. It's pretty idiot proof.
Well, not completely idiot proof. Just look at some of the discussion threads on other forums or on EliteFTS and see how the idiots can complicate it. People who are determined to do dumb things in their training can do dumb things under the name of any "system" they want!

Post Reply