DJDaddyK - single set stuff

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Ryan A

DJDaddyK - single set stuff

Post by Ryan A » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

I happened to look at the old forum and this was one of the last things posted over there and James linked to this on this very site. I thought you would find it helpful.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Guidelines.html

DJDaddyK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJDaddyK » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:06 am

Thanks Ryan. I actually think that is the very page I was quoting stuff from (ie "More [than 1] sets may elicit slightly greater strength gains but additional improvement is relatively small.") But then several folks (I think including you? lol) said the guidelines were updated and now recommend more sets for intermediate or advanced lifters. I found one such "position stand" here:
http://www.acsm-msse.org/pt/pt-core/tem ... a/0202.pdf
Is this pretty much what you were getting at? I'm not sure exactly what you were pointing me to. Sorry if I missed your point...
Steve

ExRx.net
Site Admin
Site Admin

ACSM Position Stand Outline

Post by ExRx.net » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:45 am

This ACSM Position Stand has been outlined on ExRx.net below the original ACSM Gudelines shortly after its release. It is a supplement to the original guidelines.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:04 am

Yeah, if you scroll down past the 1995 guidelines, there are some for 2005.

I guess it doesnt say explicitly to do more than 1 set but it does discuss rest between sets so it implies more sets.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:33 am

I went back to the old board from the posted link, found a thread not too far down on it with a link to the exrx info. and it listed the 2002 update, below the 1995 version, which did go into periodization, etc, etc, and cited reasons for more sets, for TRAINED,EXPERIENCED lifters. It also (in the 2002 version) cited that the original recommendations were based on studies done with novice, untrained lifters.
Tim