ExRx popularity

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

ExRx popularity

Post by hoosegow » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Out of curiosity, why isn't this site more popular? In my opinion, it is the best site with the most knowledgable group of people for lifting on the internet (myself excluded of course). You get no nonsense, fact based information without any of the usual BS you see on most of the other sites. It has easily the largest collection of exercise videos that anyone can develop a template out of with the equipment on hand. It is also free. I've even recommended it at work for reference on stretching exercises for pre-shift stretching routines.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

I think flashy gimmicky sites tend to be more popular. Sites like this which are anti-gimmick and strictly science based only appeals to certain people.

The truth also seems counter-intuitive when compared to what the person thinks they already know. This just highlights how detrimental false beliefs can be. It displaces the truth. Plus a lot of people don't understand the scientific method and how we know what is true.

There is also this sort of intellectual relativism that is very much in vogue. Where the truth is whatever you think is true, regardless of actual evidence.

That's my take on it anyway.

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

I think 80% of the people that use this site don't register, check out how many guests are always online. I used it for about a year or so without registering. Most of my question were answered in other posts.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Are you talking about the site or the forums? I think the site would be more even more popular if it was organized better, although it's already got a ton of google juice as it. As an example, on all the pages like http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Quadriceps.html you have to click on the word "Quadriceps" to get from kinesiology to exercises. That's not at all intuitive.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:30 pm

The site hasn't had a major overhaul in 10 years. I've been browsing this site almost that long and I still find it hard to find stuff. The details have been updated but it's old looking. It's still a very useful site and is referred to by a lot of people.

The forum is the best and I'm made a lot of friends here. I think the strength of the forum is that everybody treats everyone else with respect. That's something you don't find on other sites and I think we can thank the moderators for that.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Rucifer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 am

stuward wrote:The site hasn't had a major overhaul in 10 years. I've been browsing this site almost that long and I still find it hard to find stuff. The details have been updated but it's old looking. It's still a very useful site and is referred to by a lot of people.

The forum is the best and I'm made a lot of friends here. I think the strength of the forum is that everybody treats everyone else with respect. That's something you don't find on other sites and I think we can thank the moderators for that.
I agree. This site seems to sort of keep the "meatheads" away (using that term to describe the fratboy type lifters) and just has people giving advice who are strong lifters but haven't forgotten common decency. And most of the posters here seem to balance anecdotal and researched material, as opposed to just one or the other. But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Re: ExRx popularity

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm

hoosegow wrote:Out of curiosity, why isn't this site more popular? In my opinion, it is the best site with the most knowledgable group of people for lifting on the internet (myself excluded of course). You get no nonsense, fact based information without any of the usual BS you see on most of the other sites. It has easily the largest collection of exercise videos that anyone can develop a template out of with the equipment on hand. It is also free. I've even recommended it at work for reference on stretching exercises for pre-shift stretching routines.
The sad truth of the matter is this:

People won't work out if they hear the limitations of things... ie the truths.

It's much easier for people to read things that say "BUILD 20 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN ONE MONTH" or "GET SIX PACK ABS WITH THESE *EASY* MOVES".

I mean, even yahoo does this $h1t. Every day I see something talking about how to get a 'flat stomach' doing 'these exercise'.

I love this site, personally and I know I've probably got some bro-science stuck in my head somewhere and this site definitely helps me get it out of my head with factual information.

I recommend this site to all my friends, really, but all of them would rather go to BB.com and listen to a bunch of juiced out idiots.

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Rucifer wrote:But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...
That's just me, reading everyone's journals. And constantly clicking on my own to check previous workouts and inflate my seeming popularity.


I actually first posted on this site because it seemed like a small but civil group of knowledgeable folks. That hasn't changed, even as people have come and gone.

I wouldn't be an NSCA-CPT now if it wasn't for stumbling on this site and learning from the other forum posters. Even if I had only learned what to go read and who to listen to, that made all the difference in my training.

Peter

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 am

Just to put this in perspective, if you query "exercises" The top 4 sites are About.com, Wikipedia.com, bodybuilding.com and Exrx.net. Not bad. You can check the stats at Alexa.com.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:48 am

Pete my experience is similar to yours. I was an idiot when I first posted here. Now i'm a slightly older, slightly wiser idiot and for that i'm gratefull :grin:

Btw not saying anything about the design of the site but Search Engines basically love boring text filled websites. Content is king. When you have good content people link to your site. Loads of people link to this site and that, coupled with content, makes google love it.

I love the fact that it's too straight/boring looking to keep out all the idiots. "bro talk" bores the hell out of me. I hate the BB's that frown upon anyone with anything less than a vascular 18inch arm and I hate powerlifters who scoff at guys who just want to look better. Here it's simply sharing information and opinions. Disagreeing with someone won't (usually) cause a forum war. Most seem to know the difference between 'disagree and dislike' as Mike Boyle puts it.

KPj

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 am

No one is selling anything.

That both explains why it isn't more popular - it's not a product or service site trying to drum up participation and traffic in order to maximize sales - and why the people here like it - we aren't tied to any specific "product" to sell. Be that product a supplement, a diet approach, training for a specific sport, etc. It's more of a general meeting area for people looking to lift.

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am

Speak for yourself...

Let me tell you guys about tough actin' tinactin.


:)

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Rucifer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

NightFaLL wrote:Speak for yourself...

Let me tell you guys about tough actin' tinactin.


:)
BOOM! TOUGH ACTIN TINACTIN!

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Rucifer wrote:
stuward wrote:The site hasn't had a major overhaul in 10 years. I've been browsing this site almost that long and I still find it hard to find stuff. The details have been updated but it's old looking. It's still a very useful site and is referred to by a lot of people.

The forum is the best and I'm made a lot of friends here. I think the strength of the forum is that everybody treats everyone else with respect. That's something you don't find on other sites and I think we can thank the moderators for that.
I agree. This site seems to sort of keep the "meatheads" away (using that term to describe the fratboy type lifters) and just has people giving advice who are strong lifters but haven't forgotten common decency. And most of the posters here seem to balance anecdotal and researched material, as opposed to just one or the other. But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...
anybody ever looked at the t-nation forums? They're scary. A lot of really angry people posting on t-nation.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm

too much t?

Post Reply