Working same muscle two days in a row...

Discussion of peer refereed articles and clinical applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

cpro
former lurker

Working same muscle two days in a row...

Post by cpro » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

What are people's thoughts on this? I know crossfit has days where they will deadlift and then the next day to front squats.

I currently do not work the same muscle two days in a row and instead work full body three days a week. I know a trainer who will do something like this: Pull-ups monday, Inverted Rows tuesday or Stiff Leg Deadlift monday, Step-ups tuesday.

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Working same muscle two days in a row...

Post by jml » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm

cpro wrote:What are people's thoughts on this? I know crossfit has days where they will deadlift and then the next day to front squats.

I currently do not work the same muscle two days in a row and instead work full body three days a week. I know a trainer who will do something like this: Pull-ups monday, Inverted Rows tuesday or Stiff Leg Deadlift monday, Step-ups tuesday.
I don't see a reason to do it, but if it works, there's nothing wrong with it...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:52 pm

It all depends on the particular mix of intensity, volume, your individual work capacity, sleep, nutrition, and how often you do this. A big factor is how much total muscle volume you are working in the lift. Also, how close to failure you life each time.

Large muscles put a greater burden on the CNS, and so need more recovery. The "don't work the same muscle within 48 hours" rule is a good general rule of thumb, but isn't necessarily set in stone. I used to worry about doing push-ups 2 days in a row, but that's probably no big deal. I would never do big lower-body lifts 2 days in a row. In fact, I only deadlift and squat once each every 10 days.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:08 am

Yea, there are so many variables. More often than not you shouldn't. However there are plenty of circumstances where it is ok.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 am

I wouldn't do it. I like the whole 3 days a week thing.

That said, I wonder what science says.

And I can think of things like gymnastics or other sports (swimming) where a lot of muscle is built just by doing the sport, day in/out, often without even any conditioning at all.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:57 am

I'm with Ironman here. Generally, you try not to do it, but that's with a lot of qualifications on the statement. I don't, say, do max reps pullups two days in a row. But I do pullups every single day without fail. I won't deadlift heavy two days in a row, but I'll deadlift heavy one day and do lighter lower body work for the same muscles the next day.

It depends wildly on the circumstances.

shane
n00b
n00b

Post by shane » Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 am

I think It all counts on the specific blend of power, capacity, your one-by-one work capability, doze, nutrition, and how often you manage this. A large-scale component is how much total sinew capacity you are employed in the lift. Also, how close to malfunction you life each time.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 am

Goals also make a big difference.

If you're not training for hypertrophy, but instead GPP, then training the same muscle group almost daily with lower intensity is what most people do.

From what you describe of your trainer though, it sounds like he's bodybuilding oriented - which means he's either not getting enough rest or lifting so light that it doesn't cause him to need rest. That's my guess.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Jungledoc wrote:It all depends on the particular mix of intensity, volume, your individual work capacity, sleep, nutrition, and how often you do this. A big factor is how much total muscle volume you are working in the lift. Also, how close to failure you life each time.
shane wrote:I think It all counts on the specific blend of power, capacity, your one-by-one work capability, doze, nutrition, and how often you manage this. A large-scale component is how much total sinew capacity you are employed in the lift. Also, how close to malfunction you life each time.
Wtf, stop doing that.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Thu May 20, 2010 6:49 pm

haha pretty sure that's a bot designed to simply replace words with synonyms and copy other users.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 pm

It's pretty clever!

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 21, 2010 9:27 am

what the hell's the point in it?

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:25 am

Am pretty sure the first post by shane had a link in it but was deleted by mods, maybe the links are being deleted but the posts left as they are?

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Another +1 for rule of thumb.

From what I've read it's usually to prevent over-training but it all depends. I think it's so people don't do something like an intense arm workout and then a chest workout the next day. It really depends on intensity, though.

If you do deadlifts that are intense enough to get your legs pretty sore I wouldn't do squats the next day. I generally try to space out back and leg workouts enough to account for this. I'll get a more intense back workout and be able to do more if my legs aren't very sore.