replace the shake

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

replace the shake

Post by nygmen » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Not sure if anyone else has heard this CRAZYNESS but it has me freaked out a bit.

I ordered 64lbs of protein the other day which should last me 4 maybe 5 months. After that, if whey is $30 a lbs I won't be able to use it the same way I am now...

(I will provide my custom blend formula to anyone interested. I will also share my peri-workout blend if you are so inclined, as I got 8 lbs of that, which should last me... god at two scoops a workout, forever.)

So if the price actually triples, how the hell am i going to replace the 240g of protein a day I get from shakes?

I am thinking pasteurized egg whites and just drink them, along with a ton of cottage cheese and peanutbutter. Other than that, I'm tapped for ideas that are more convenient than cooking a damn steak. (Plus I eat a pound of beef a night, no more please.)

What do you think?

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 pm

64 lbs of protein!!!! :eek: that would last me a year! I find it hard to believe that would happen but the amount of money companies like that have, anything is possible. If it does I'm gonnna buy 64 lbs! I'm interested in your stacks/shakes/blends by the way..

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Seattle

Post by jml » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 am

The new Gatorade protein drink has all of 16 grams of protein. If this actually makes prices skyrocket, that would really suck.

Solution:
-Cook chicken
-Blend
-Drink

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 am

That 'bodybuilder type' that i'm training just now doesn't really drink protein shakes. He's one of those guys that can't really stomach them. What he does is just puts raw eggs into a glass of orange juice for his own 'shake'. My main training partner drinks raw eggs on their own whenever he can't be bothered cooking them.

Recently i've been drinking milk instead of protein but you've got the lactose/sugar/possibility of extra body fat to consider.

Egg whites are probably your best bet, if the prices do go up.

KPj

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: replace the shake

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu May 27, 2010 8:24 am

nygmen wrote:Not sure if anyone else has heard this CRAZYNESS but it has me freaked out a bit.

I ordered 64lbs of protein the other day which should last me 4 maybe 5 months. After that, if whey is $30 a lbs I won't be able to use it the same way I am now...
nygmen,

So, do you believe everything you read? This guy is full of $h1t.
So if the price actually triples, how the hell am i going to replace the 240g of protein a day I get from shakes?
I doubt that you need to ingest 240 gram of protein a day.

Kenny Croxdale

User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Re: replace the shake

Post by nygmen » Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 am

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
nygmen wrote:Not sure if anyone else has heard this CRAZYNESS but it has me freaked out a bit.

I ordered 64lbs of protein the other day which should last me 4 maybe 5 months. After that, if whey is $30 a lbs I won't be able to use it the same way I am now...
nygmen,

So, do you believe everything you read? This guy is full of $h1t.
I believe Dante when he talks, yes.

While he may be WRONG about the 2 or 3x increase, I don't think he is lying about the situation.
So if the price actually triples, how the hell am i going to replace the 240g of protein a day I get from shakes?
I doubt that you need to ingest 240 gram of protein a day.

Kenny Croxdale
I agree, that is why I'm getting between 380-420grams a day. :wink:


I'll post my blends later tonight.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 am

~400g protein per day? Man, your kidneys are totally going to explode :wink:

In all seriousness I think ~60g per meal is a nice number, and i'm only 180-185. I've never bought into all 20-30g per meal stuff.

KPj

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Thu May 27, 2010 10:04 am

If the price went up by even 10-20% that would be significant. 2-3 times is BS. Taking in 400g of protein is BS too. You're not Ronnie Coleman and even he only does that once in a while and gets it mostly from meat.

User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 am

stuward wrote: Ronnie Coleman and even he only does that once in a while and gets it mostly from meat.
He would be much closer to 1,000 a day than 400.

400 isn't even 2x BW for me.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Post by KPj » Thu May 27, 2010 10:54 am

I think we've been down this road before but, fwiw, PN recommend, for men, between 40-60g per meal. Plus, they recommend to eat every 2-3 hours.

If I get up at 7am, and go to bed at 12 midnight, you're now talking about betweem 5-8ish meals per day if you follow it strictly.

Going by those guidelines (i.e. not pulled out of thin air), say you eat 6 times, that's either going to be 240g, or 360, at the mininum meal frequency (6).

400g is also 1600 calories. It's not really all that much total calories for an experienced lifter. A GOMAD, depending on the milk, will be 3000-3500 calories.

Personally I don't get 400 but, i'm a tad lighter than nygmen :grin: I'm just surprised at how surprised you guys are at the number, that's all.

KPj

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm

I think it's recently been proven that the every 2-3 hours thing isn't optimal at all. Something about the decreased insulin sensitivity due to constant influx of nutrients (kind of like building up an immunity).

Most of the top experts I read recommend 3-4 large meals a day scheduled around workout times. (1 Pre-WO, 2-3 PWO)

Edit:

Also, it depends on how he's eating at 400g/day. If he's doing a paleo-esque diet, I would think it'd be fairly normal if you're a large guy.

Carbs, from what i understand, are protein sparing - meaning the more of them you ingest the less protein you need to eat to increase muscle size.

I personally, while dieting, eat about 225pro/150-200carbs/70fat and while maintaining the only thing that will go up is the carbs/fat slightly

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 pm

1 g protein per lb of body weight is adequate for an active, weight training person. You're getting twice that. There is no benefit to that much protein except for pre contest cutting. Cut the protein in half and replace the calories with good fats like egg yolks, cream, nuts, etc.

Coleman only takes in 2g/lb protein pre contest. Normally it's a little over 1g/lb.

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 pm

NightFaLL wrote:I think it's recently been proven that the every 2-3 hours thing isn't optimal at all. Something about the decreased insulin sensitivity due to constant influx of nutrients (kind of like building up an immunity).

Most of the top experts I read recommend 3-4 large meals a day scheduled around workout times. (1 Pre-WO, 2-3 PWO)

Edit:

Also, it depends on how he's eating at 400g/day. If he's doing a paleo-esque diet, I would think it'd be fairly normal if you're a large guy.

Carbs, from what i understand, are protein sparing - meaning the more of them you ingest the less protein you need to eat to increase muscle size.

I personally, while dieting, eat about 225pro/150-200carbs/70fat and while maintaining the only thing that will go up is the carbs/fat slightly
Carbs are protein sparing but they're also fat sparing. Basically when you have a diet high in carbs the oxidatrion of fat is inhibited and the storage promoted, mainly because of the effect insulin has. On the other hand, a high fat/high protein diet spares protein because when your body is adjusted, you require less glucose as ketones become the main fuel for the brain, and fatty acids the muscles. Less glucose = less protein breakdown to synthesise more glucose. Obviously carbs have their place in training though saying all this, but on a cut I don't see much need for them.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Rucifer » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm with nightfall on the eating meals. I might eat a small snack inbetween meals but eating more than 3 meals just makes me feel the equivalent of bloated on food. It's different than just feeling "full".

Wow, 400 grams a day? That takes talent if you ask me!

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Thu May 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Nevage wrote:
NightFaLL wrote:I think it's recently been proven that the every 2-3 hours thing isn't optimal at all. Something about the decreased insulin sensitivity due to constant influx of nutrients (kind of like building up an immunity).

Most of the top experts I read recommend 3-4 large meals a day scheduled around workout times. (1 Pre-WO, 2-3 PWO)

Edit:

Also, it depends on how he's eating at 400g/day. If he's doing a paleo-esque diet, I would think it'd be fairly normal if you're a large guy.

Carbs, from what i understand, are protein sparing - meaning the more of them you ingest the less protein you need to eat to increase muscle size.

I personally, while dieting, eat about 225pro/150-200carbs/70fat and while maintaining the only thing that will go up is the carbs/fat slightly
Carbs are protein sparing but they're also fat sparing. Basically when you have a diet high in carbs the oxidatrion of fat is inhibited and the storage promoted, mainly because of the effect insulin has. On the other hand, a high fat/high protein diet spares protein because when your body is adjusted, you require less glucose as ketones become the main fuel for the brain, and fatty acids the muscles. Less glucose = less protein breakdown to synthesise more glucose. Obviously carbs have their place in training though saying all this, but on a cut I don't see much need for them.
Glycogen is required for high intensity exercises, so if you're not doing heavy lifting/anaerobic training they aren't necessarily obviously.

But, as a physique-oriented person, glycogen/water makes up what.. like 20% of muscle size? I wouldn't like that one bit.

The carbs I take in while cutting are simply so I don't have to eat more protein (cost wise) and I also enjoy carbs quite immensely so it keeps me sane.

I also lift 5 days/wk and without 150-200g carbs a day I'd quickly be glycogen depleted which would hinder my performance (Which, keeping intensity at the same level, is how you limit muscle loss.)

Also, contrary to what people have heard about eating a high fat diet - eating high fat does not make the body burn more fat than it would by simply going low fat/carb - high protein.

Post Reply