High tech barefoot shoes

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

stuward

High tech barefoot shoes

Post by stuward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 am

Does anyone else think that Vibram finger shoes and similar are a waste of money? When I was a kid, I grew up in moccasins. I still wear them when I'm not at work. If I'm at the beach I wear cheap aqua socks. I'm not much of a runner but it seems to me that you don't need to spend a lot of money to transition to barefoot.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: High tech barefoot shoes

Post by robertscott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:29 am

stuward wrote:Does anyone else think that Vibram finger shoes and similar are a waste of money? When I was a kid, I grew up in moccasins. I still wear them when I'm not at work. If I'm at the beach I wear cheap aqua socks. I'm not much of a runner but it seems to me that you don't need to spend a lot of money to transition to barefoot.
I agree, why bother wearing shoes that replicate the feeling of being barefoot when mother nature provided you with a free solution at birth?

The only reason I can see to buy them is that a lot of gyms won't let you train barefoot.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 am

They make perfect sense to me if you're out kayaking/canoing/rafting/hiking. You want something that'll protect your feet from getting cut or torn, and help you keep a good grip, but also gives you the advantage of being barefoot. If I did those kind of sports, I'd be all into the vibrams.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 am

pdellorto wrote:They make perfect sense to me if you're out kayaking/canoing/rafting/hiking. You want something that'll protect your feet from getting cut or torn, and help you keep a good grip, but also gives you the advantage of being barefoot. If I did those kind of sports, I'd be all into the vibrams.
So what makes them better value than moccasins or aqua socks?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 am

pdellorto wrote:They make perfect sense to me if you're out kayaking/canoing/rafting/hiking. You want something that'll protect your feet from getting cut or torn, and help you keep a good grip, but also gives you the advantage of being barefoot. If I did those kind of sports, I'd be all into the vibrams.
fair point Peter, I was thinking about them just in a gym setting

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 am

stuward wrote:
So what makes them better value than moccasins or aqua socks?
I'd be willing to try all three to find out.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 am

pdellorto wrote:
I'd be willing to try all three to find out.
I'm not willing to shell out for the vibrams. I just see people gushing over them all the time when I do the same thing with cheap footwear.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 am

I love and agree with the concept but not the price tag and agree you can the same thing for less.

There's also the issue of how they look. I'm not a fashion conscious kind of guy but there is a line and I draw them at shoes with little individual toes on them.

KPj