College Food

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 am

OP - do you know if you'll have any cooking facilities in your dorms? Lots of the catered dorms I know of have k-words so you might still be able to cook tasty low carb treats

Pathoslogical
n00b
n00b

Post by Pathoslogical » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Unfortunately no, not in the freshman dorms they're aren't.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Beef Jerky, is great! But the store bought kind is full of msg preservatives. lol Do you know anybody with a dehydrator, or you could even make your own with an oven.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 am

May come across as "hey i'm new but im super educated and I concur with tim" but .... "hey i'm new but I concur with tim"

:)

Mainly its the throwing tinned tuna or chicken breast in pre-packed dark green salad and oil - it was this mix I found most palletable and most sound in nutrition - easy to boot. It would be great if you could get boiled eggs from the canteen though(?) - thyme/rosemary/basil helps - to me its about finding a lunch meal you don't need to plan for and tastes good. Variety is nice/probably better but its the first thing I let slide when I don't want my diet becoming a 2nd job

Breakfast - eggs/bacon/sausage in moderation (I say that, again anecdotal but I think sausage is a bit of a nutrition lottery since its not exactly a good example of a whole food - hense I wouldn't have 15 a week) - I also often added grated cheddar, helped me with the constant eggs.

Snacks - cheese portions - I have small cheddar portions I eat through the day - 2 minimum 4 max, hand full of nuts. Whey protein with water. 2-3 fruit - especially if you arent getting veg with dinner - I think kiwi fruit is a good example of fibre/vit c/low GI so if you like those and aren't getting much veg add an extra.

Lunch - the above/salad with meat/oil - I also had a few where I got Feta cheese from super market, nice stuff just didnt want it everyday.

Dinner - I was too spoiled here by moms cooking and wont tease you with the details - I'll just wish you luck here, at least it can be more varied! - ommelletes are good but *shrug* the no cooking thing has left me wondering if its only some of the day you can't cook.