Post by A. moss » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Good luck on your rope clime tomorrow.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks. As long as it's not part of this circuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCoBC3P3HPU

...I should be okay. Plus seeing the half-way climb this guy did, I think I'm close enough to the ground to not worry about the height. I can drop straight down and land fine if I have to.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Congrats on your rope work. Now get those hands healed up and do it again.

Did you even think about your fear of heights while climbing? I have developed a sudo fear of heights, but as long as I can hold onto something, I am usually fine. AKA: I trust my holding ability, but don't trust my footing.

Cliff

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:48 pm

wilburburns wrote:Congrats on your rope work. Now get those hands healed up and do it again.
Thanks. I'd do it again today if someone told me told. Torn callouses suck, but wimping out sucks more. :)
wilburburns wrote:Did you even think about your fear of heights while climbing? I have developed a sudo fear of heights, but as long as I can hold onto something, I am usually fine. AKA: I trust my holding ability, but don't trust my footing.
I tried not to, all I thought about was getting one hand in front of the other. I made sure to look up the whole time, at least until halfway down on the way back down. If I don't think about how high I am, it's not a problem.

But yeah, generally, I need to hold on to things to overcome my fear of heights. I actually like high vantage points, but I need a railing and a place to grab onto or I'm going to get overcome by fright.

And by the way, it's pseudo. Sudo is a Japanese last name (cf, Genki Sudo - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Genki-Sudo-1227

:grin:

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Computers have made me stupid when it comes to spelling... Arrgghhhh :red:

Acrophobia is quite odd for me. When I was younger it never bothered me, but somewhere between 25-30, it just clicked and now I have to hold onto something. But, like I said, if I hold on and am climbing, I'm usually ok, ot's when I have to let go that I have trouble.

Cliff

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:29 pm

pdellorto wrote: As long as it's not part of this circuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCoBC3P3HPU

As long as whats not part of what circuit?

I can't watch videos on my computer so I dont know what that has on it.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 pm

pdellorto wrote:After class I learned two new exercises I can do to help my lower back and help my guard game.
Share?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:43 pm

I described one of them today, as I did it at DeFranco's. I'll describe the other - it's essentially a rotational one-legged bridge - in more depth when I do it. One it for rehabbing my back and the other is for practicing a heel-push off against an opponent to facilitate ground movement.

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 am

Nice work on chinups, Peter.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks jml, I'm very pleased with my improvement there!

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Good luck with the new job opportunity.

Cliff

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 am

wilburburns wrote:Good luck with the new job opportunity.
Thanks! I hope I get it. A full-time training job, especially one this nice, would really put me in a good position to keep doing what I love for a living.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:32 am

Peter--I didn't see where you wrote about the job opportunity. I looked around, and don't see it. Must have been on another thread. What's up?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am

Jungledoc wrote:Peter--I didn't see where you wrote about the job opportunity. I looked around, and don't see it. Must have been on another thread. What's up?
It's in my journal. I had a job interview yesterday at a community gym, for a full-time job. I can't post details, obviously, but I'm hoping to get it. At first blush it sounds like exactly the kind of job I'm looking for - good floor rate, emphasis on member services not membership sales, benefits, etc. The best part is, I applied long before the job came up, just in case - on the recommendation of my trainer at DeFranco's. So maybe that'll lead me to two jobs, heh. I already got one partly on the strength of what I learned training there.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

pdellorto wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:Peter--I didn't see where you wrote about the job opportunity. I looked around, and don't see it. Must have been on another thread. What's up?
It's in my journal. I had a job interview yesterday at a community gym, for a full-time job. I can't post details, obviously, but I'm hoping to get it. At first blush it sounds like exactly the kind of job I'm looking for - good floor rate, emphasis on member services not membership sales, benefits, etc. The best part is, I applied long before the job came up, just in case - on the recommendation of my trainer at DeFranco's. So maybe that'll lead me to two jobs, heh. I already got one partly on the strength of what I learned training there.
Good Luck!