caffeine or carbs for working out

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Immortal

caffeine or carbs for working out

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:41 am

What helps more caffeine or carbs and which gives you more pwoer? I know you can take both to get the full strength from them both but can you drink caffeine with no carbs to get good anergy and eat protein so you can get cut? Or is caffeien without carbs dangerous?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Not dangerous, I do it all the time.

I did an Ephedrine/Caffeine stack while on a PSMF diet (90% of calories from protein).

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 pm

how did that turn out?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I did it pre-spring break for 2-3 weeks, I dropped about 3-5% body fat (15+% to 10-12%)

So, I'd say the diet works well.

As for the E/C on an empty stomach, I feel it's more potent. So, if you're sensitive to stims, be careful.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Did you feel out of energy at all?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 pm

nah, not really.

I'm carb resistant, though. Lots of carbs just make me feel sleepy.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I'll sometimes do 100mg caffeine pre-workout. I only do it on weekends, since I feel like it impacts how long it takes me to go to sleep. Caffeine is the only supplement I've ever taken that seems to have a noticeable impact on my workout. My rough estimate would be on a 4x10 series, it seems to be worth an extra 2-4 reps on the last set.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:32 am

I am thinking of maybe getting caffeine powder. I have tried jack3d a few times and it just makes me bloated until I wake up the next morning and I hate it

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 am

Some bloating seems like a fair trade-off for lottery winnings. Nothing's free after all.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: caffeine or carbs for working out

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am

Immortal wrote:What helps more caffeine or carbs and which gives you more pwoer? I know you can take both to get the full strength from them both but can you drink caffeine with no carbs to get good anergy and eat protein so you can get cut? Or is caffeien without carbs dangerous?
Immortal,

Caffeine will boost you energy level more than carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are already stored in your muscle tissue as glycogen. With most type fo training you have more than enough glycogen stored in your muscle to get you through a workout with some left over.

A problem with ingesting carbohydrates just prior to workout is they shut down fat from being utilized as fuel. Carbohydrates trigger the release of insulin.

One of the characteristics of insulin is that it blocks body fat from being utilzied as fuel.

Thus, if you going to take any carbohydrates prior to your workout, do so about an hour before hand and ingest low glycemic index foods.

Low glycemic index foods create a very small release of insulin. Taken about an hour prior to your workout, means that any insulin that was triggered by the carbohydrates is minimal.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 am

NightFaLL wrote:Not dangerous, I do it all the time.
NightFaLL,

Ingesting carbohydrates with caffeine at the same time doesn't make much sense. It somewhat like trying to go two different directions at the same time. I noted why in another post.
I did an Ephedrine/Caffeine stack while on a PSMF diet (90% of calories from protein).
Might I suggest that when acronomys are used, they be "spelled out". That because that many individuals have no idea of what you talking about.

With that stated, PSMF should not be confused with PMS. PSMF = Protein Sparing Motified Fast. This diet for all practical purposes is The Stillman Diet.

PMS = a diet for women that is composed of carbohydrates topped with layers of chocolate.

Kenny Croxdale

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 am

Ah yes, I wrote out the Ephedrine/Caffeine part but then forgot to do the PSMF part!

And I meant that I take caffeine without carbohydrates all the time and that it isn't dangerous. I'm not sure what was confusing about that.

Whenever I'm trying to cut weight, I restrict carbs pretty heavily (less than 75g/day) and I find caffeine is the only thing that keeps me going.

Oh, also, I should add - I'm a caffeine junkie, so caffeine is really part of my diet 24/7, no matter what I'm doing.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:34 pm

So, you still haven't told us what "PSMF" stands for.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Jungledoc wrote:So, you still haven't told us what "PSMF" stands for.
Kenny did, Protein-Sparing Modified Fast.

If done correctly, it's about the fastest possible way to lose fat - if done incorrectly (Without the write vitamin/mineral supplements) it can be dangerous.