Door pull ups versus Regular pull ups

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Door pull ups versus Regular pull ups

Post by VoK » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:33 pm

First off, which are harder? I haven't been able to access a gym in a few months, so I use my door to do pullups.

Second, I feel that door pullups work the biceps more than regular pullups. Does anyone know how door pullups compare to reguloar pullups?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 pm

Same thing, you're just using the door ledge instead of a bar. My guess is that its better for the grip though, and you really have to pich the frame in order to get a firm grip.
Tim

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mog16 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:10 pm

on a semi related note I do elevator pull ups a lot (face the interior of the elevator, grab rim with a palms back grip) because your back is braced against the elevator wall the position you are put in really hits the biceps hard.

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:17 pm

The thing about door pullups is that I can use the door as leverage. As in I can place my elbows on the door and use their stable position to pull from. I feel this works the biceps quite a bit more if I'm not mistaken.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 am

Either you're very light, or that's one hell of a door. Even if the frame and the door hold up, wouldn't that make the door hang funny?

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:46 am

Ironman wrote:Either you're very light, or that's one hell of a door. Even if the frame and the door hold up, wouldn't that make the door hang funny?
I'm relatively light (155 pounds) and the door is pretty sturdy, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. Should I keep on doing this elbow leverage thing or should I stop it?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:06 am

Well, if you notice you have to lift up a bit on the door nob to close the door, then you might want to stop.

TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:13 am

VOK, I'm assuming you are using a palms facing you grip (curl grip), and if so, yes, that would affect the biceps a bit more, but still a great general back-lat exercise. As to the elbow stabilization thing, hey, it get's the job done, right? Why not use it? Most of the guys and gals I see on the crossfit videos using kipping motions (or swing ) to get momentum up, so I think stability is just fine. It's still working the muscles, you are just creating a bit of an equalizer.
As to door frame stability, LOL, most frames I've seen can handle a lot more than what you weigh, but only you know how sturdy it is, so let that be your guide, but Ironman does have a point.
Tim

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 am

I don't think he's hanging from the door frame. I think he's handing from the door itself.

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 pm

Matt Z wrote:I don't think he's hanging from the door frame. I think he's handing from the door itself.
Correct. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm hanging from the door itself, as in the only grip I can do is palms facing away.

TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:04 pm

OK, my bad. Assumed you were using the frames. In that case, no, you aren't stressing the biceps as much with palms facing away. The leverages aren't with it. And also, LOL, in that case, using the door, you really ought to heed Ironman's comments. You may find that one day you can't shut the door properly, especially if it is only a two hinge door unit, ike the flimsy indoor things I have in this house.
Tim