The Obesity "Conspiracy"

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm

frigginwizard wrote:
robertscott wrote:my favourite one is when I'm sitting eating chicken breasts and broccoli, and one of my work colleagues says:

"Eating all that meat'll make you fat one day"

Um, when?
ya, I hear that stuff all the time. All the chicken I eat is gonna give me a heart attack and deadlifting is going to throw my back out. I guess I'm screwed.
yeah man and half the folk I work with are as obese as it gets. I'm sitting there with a tupperware box with 2 grilled chicken breasts and a ton of broccoli all olive oiled up, and folk say things like: "Oh I wish I could eat healthy but it's just so hard."

I'm thinking, "I know fatty, but just get on with it nobody WANTS to eat a couple of grilled chicken breasts for lunch but if you're trying to shed those pounds then just take it like a man. Get yourself a cheat day when you're ripped."

Rubs me the wrong way that does.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 pm

frigginwizard wrote:ya, I hear that stuff all the time. All the chicken I eat is gonna give me a heart attack and deadlifting is going to throw my back out. I guess I'm screwed.
And squatting is destroying your knees. We might as well plan your funeral now.

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 pm

I like the ones where people say "You don't have to watch what you eat, you're not even fat".

Why do you think I'm not fat? I watch what I eat.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTq2_3LfXM

some naughty words, but I love this piece he does.
Seems applicable to some comments here

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

ow nothing about what they are doing. I am glad that this ar

Post by Rucifer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

I am glad that this article points out who the sponsors are of the American Dietetic Association so we can truly see how corrupt this organization is, and how similar "great" organizations (American Cancer Society) preach the same failed crap as they have been forever. I will never trust a big bureaucratic organization on health matters ever again!

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:44 am

What a hero.

User avatar
frigginwizard
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 am

Jungledoc wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:ya, I hear that stuff all the time. All the chicken I eat is gonna give me a heart attack and deadlifting is going to throw my back out. I guess I'm screwed.
And squatting is destroying your knees. We might as well plan your funeral now.
haha, I almost wish squatting was bad for my knees. I need an excuse to never do that exercise again.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: ow nothing about what they are doing. I am glad that thi

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:59 am

Rucifer wrote:I am glad that this article points out who the sponsors are of the American Dietetic Association so we can truly see how corrupt this organization is, and how similar "great" organizations (American Cancer Society) preach the same failed crap as they have been forever. I will never trust a big bureaucratic organization on health matters ever again!
Don't take it to an extreme though. Just because there has been some corruption does not mean every organization is like that, nor does it mean everything they do is bad. You should take it on a case by case basis. Of course it depends on how you define trust, because being skeptical is usually a good thing.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: ow nothing about what they are doing. I am glad that thi

Post by Rucifer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Ironman wrote:
Rucifer wrote:I am glad that this article points out who the sponsors are of the American Dietetic Association so we can truly see how corrupt this organization is, and how similar "great" organizations (American Cancer Society) preach the same failed crap as they have been forever. I will never trust a big bureaucratic organization on health matters ever again!
Don't take it to an extreme though. Just because there has been some corruption does not mean every organization is like that, nor does it mean everything they do is bad. You should take it on a case by case basis. Of course it depends on how you define trust, because being skeptical is usually a good thing.
True. I think I was just upset that something known as the "American Dietetic Assocation" could ever have a sponsor such as the ones listed and sleep at night. It's like a tobacco company sponsoring a lung cancer association.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:55 pm

That's only human we all get a little upset about that sort of thing, me included.

Post Reply