Plan Next Week's Training for Me

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:00 pm

"How much does a horse weigh, anyway?" - Jungledoc

Over 1000 lbs. Maybe 1500 for a thoroughbred (sp?). Up to 2000 lbs for a shire (huge draft breed). You could start with a farabella and work your way up.

Better yet ... start lifting a calf every day until it grows into a full-grown bull. It worked for Milo of Croton.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:02 pm

"Hoose, unfortunately, there's no water worthy of a canoe in the highlands. The folk here don't make or use them anyway. Otherwise I'd take my wife canoeing in a heartbeat." - Jungledoc

Don't they have saltwater crocodiles in PNG?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Matt Z wrote:Don't they have saltwater crocodiles in PNG?
They do, indeed. Some very large ones, if the legends are to be believed. They live on the coasts in rivers like the Sepik and the Fly. We live in the highlands, a very rugged, mountainous area. We are in the Wahgi Valley, in the center of the mountains, and crocs don't live here. There is one large river, but it moves too fast for canoes. Many of the people here don't even know how to swim. I have visited the coasts, but I have never seen crocs in the wild. My son went on a hunt in the Sepik, and they killed 3 small ones. They are delicious eating, by the way.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Hmmm ... Looks like PNG has two crocodile species, Saltwater Crocs and the New Guinea Crocodile. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/cnhc/csp_cnov.htm

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Jungledoc wrote: I have never seen crocs in the wild. My son went on a hunt in the Sepik, and they killed 3 small ones. They are delicious eating, by the way.
Better that than the tofu turkey I suffered through on Thanksgiving six or so years ago.

In New Guinea, Thanksgiving is just another Thursday, but have a happy anyway. Enjoy your trip.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:13 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Jungledoc wrote: I have never seen crocs in the wild. My son went on a hunt in the Sepik, and they killed 3 small ones. They are delicious eating, by the way.
Better that than the tofu turkey I suffered through on Thanksgiving six or so years ago.

In New Guinea, Thanksgiving is just another Thursday, but have a happy anyway. Enjoy your trip.
Well, in ex-pat households it's fairly typical to celebrate PNG holidays and holidays of the home country as well. Since my wife is Canadian and I'm American, we get three Thanksgivings a year! Today is a workday, but in the evening there will be 12 people around our table eating chicken but imagining that it is turkey.

About 3 years ago my wife saw about 8 frozen turkeys at the grocery store in town, no doubt imported from Australia or New Zealand. She bought them all, and distributed them to all the ex-pat families here on our station. It turns out that they had probably been allowed to thaw and spoil, then had been re-frozen. Fortunately, most of the people involved discovered this in time to bake alternative poultry for the big dinner!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, wherever you are, and whether you celebrate this particular day or not!

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:59 am

Hey jungle, how bout stair lunges.... take heavy dumbells and find a flight of stairs... take your right foot and put it on the second step and lunge up till you climbed that step with your right foot then quickly with your left foot do the same thing with another 2 steps. do this until you reached the top. both your feet shouldnt be on the same step you should constantly be switching them. after your done come down with them one step at a time while still holding the dumbells. After that take a 1 to 2 minute break and tackle it again. make sure you switch he foot you start on each time. Caution : this exercise is very hard so dont expect to not be exhausted after doing it. Not only are your entire legs including your calves getting a workout, but your grip and traps will be on fire as well. I found that this exercise is an excellent addition to my leg day. I try to do at least 3 sets of this. It is also a good high intensity cardio workout. Try it if you feel up to it :)

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:03 am

So basically the workout should be like this,

Squat 5 X 5,
Leg Extensions 3X5
Leg Curl 3 X 5
Squat 1 X 20 ( less weight)
Stair lunges 3 X whole flight

Trust me if you do this with enough weight, your gonna feel it in the end. :)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks. Unfortunately (at least for the fans of stairs) there are no stairs where I live, except for a few going up to a porch or veranda. I do the equivalent move using step ups onto a box, usually from a couple of feet away.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:52 am

for a break from the routine I usually spend a week or two just doing Olympic stuff. Cleans, snatches and the dumbell variations.

Loads of fun, although I like the deadlift a horse idea best so far

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:53 am

Keep the suggestions coming! I'll settle on the workouts on Sunday.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Squat 5 X 20, 15, 10, 2, 2

Dead Lift 2 X 6, 3

Power Clean 4 X 5

Military Press 2 X 10

Rest 3 days

Snatch 2 X 4

Bench Press 3 X 15, 10, 5

45 Pound front shoulder raises 4 X 10

Chin ups 5 X M

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks, Immortal, but I think you missed the original post. I'm just each person to suggest 1 upper and 1 lower body lift that's not something I do routinely.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Tire Flipping.

.... Or cow tipping.... I think that kills them though.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:42 pm

awwwww, ok....... I know this works the entire body at once, but its kinda fun and challenging to do... the Push dead curl press.... start with dumbells on the ground and you in pushup position. Make sure the dumbells are at least shoulder width apart. Do a pushup then bring your feet underneath you until the dumbells are on the sides of your feet Dead lift them up curl them and then after theyre in curled position, press them then bring them down with form. Repeat 5 to 10 times for 3 sets. This is by far one of the toughest exercises to do ever because not only does it work literaly almost every body part, its also perfect for full body use strength. did I hit the mark there?