Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

OH Press Shock

Post by jackthestrat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 pm

You guys are going to think I'm nuts.

Yesterday was the first time since starting the lifting again that I have been able to OHP 135. On the last set, on the third, fourth, and fifth rep, I got what I can only describe as an electric shock running down both forearms and into my elbow. It kind of felt like all the hair on my arm in a straight line suddenly stood straight up.

Any idea what this could be, or if I should be concerned? It didn't seem to affect my lift at all, and I had no recurring episodes in my other lifts for the day.

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:35 pm

I get the same in my shins towards the end of a long run or after HIIT sprints. I have had it lifting before but only very rarely, and IIRC just down my left forearm.

It's never worried me too much, perhaps now I can get some answers.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 pm

That sort of sensation usually relates to irritation directly to a nerve. The nerves to the forearm all run through the axilla, and stretch some when reaching overhead. They are commonly injured in accidents that involve an overhead pull, like falling and grabbing something to try to prevent the fall, or a parent pulling up sharply on a child's arm, or a doctor pulling on an arm to get a stubborn baby delivered.

I can't tell you why you experienced this at this particular time, but if it happens again, don't just go on lifting. You might try some gentle overhead stretches before pressing, like hang from the chinup bar.

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Post by jackthestrat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 am

Jungledoc wrote:That sort of sensation usually relates to irritation directly to a nerve. The nerves to the forearm all run through the axilla, and stretch some when reaching overhead. They are commonly injured in accidents that involve an overhead pull, like falling and grabbing something to try to prevent the fall, or a parent pulling up sharply on a child's arm, or a doctor pulling on an arm to get a stubborn baby delivered.

I can't tell you why you experienced this at this particular time, but if it happens again, don't just go on lifting. You might try some gentle overhead stretches before pressing, like hang from the chinup bar.
Thanks for the reply Doc, I'll stretch it out and see what happens.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 am

There are places in the shoulders, elbows and wrists that nerve go through. If the muscles and tendons in those areas become inflamed you can get that type of pain. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/96638-overview
Activity that involves forceful elbow extension can cause triceps tendinosis or posterior impingement syndrome. In addition, any activity that causes increased valgus stress on the elbow can also cause ulnar nerve injury, posterior impingement syndrome, or olecranon stress fractures.
I would suggest treating the imflamation. If you don't eat fish on a regular basis, try fish oil.

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Post by jackthestrat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 am

stuward wrote:I would suggest treating the imflamation. If you don't eat fish on a regular basis, try fish oil.
I'm currently taking 6g/day of fish oil capsules. I found it difficult to find a solid recommendation for the proper amount other than "balance you O3/O6 to 1:4 or less". Do you think I need more?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:34 pm

jackthestrat wrote:
stuward wrote:I would suggest treating the imflamation. If you don't eat fish on a regular basis, try fish oil.
I'm currently taking 6g/day of fish oil capsules. I found it difficult to find a solid recommendation for the proper amount other than "balance you O3/O6 to 1:4 or less". Do you think I need more?
No, that should be enough. Now, decrease the O6. 1:4 is still way too much O6. Try to get closer to 1:1.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

thats why I am careful on tricep exercises, bench press, and overhead press. I can end up getting the same thing, but I know when to stop before it happens. My elbow feels like its going to get stuck and it feels like its weak. no pain or anything. and I know how to prevent tingling before it happens. no one wants to have that feeling.

anyone know what nerves do that? and is it like a weakness in the elbow or something that causes it?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Read that article I posted. There are 3 major nerves that go through the elbow and it's a very complex joint. Overuse or trauma can cause the problem.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 am

it looks like based on the article for treatment, that I need to do forearm supination, pronation, forearm/wrist curls, etc. and I think they are weak. I wonder what is the ratio from forearm strength to bench press, overhead press, tricep extensions, and such...so that overuse will not occur. I know when something is weak, something else has to try and take over and it can put strain on whats weak or around it.

I have not gotten to any inflammation stage and it has not affected softball throwing at all, only during tricep extension exercises is when it is really affected and can happen when I do overhead press too. I also notice when it happens, my forearm grip posture looks weird. so I think I really need to work on my forearms.