Low Carb debate thread

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:11 pm

strathmeyer wrote:Wow, what did beautyqueen do to hurt you guys? It's almost as if being ridiculed and constantly correcting you guys isn't very much fun for other people.

Hint: the personal insults don't convince us of your viewpoint.
What are you talking about? What personal insults? Someone said something demonstrably false, and I pointed that out. Jungledoc brought up some ethical issues. Is that what you mean?

I'm a little confused by the emotional context of your post.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Post by Jebus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:25 pm

It's interesting how some people can be so delusional.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Jebus wrote:It's interesting how some people can be so delusional.
I don't think it's delusional as much as uncritical. I think it's incumbent among every student to question their sources. however, I don't think that this is encouraged, especially in programs where they are being fed information from a fire hose. I was hoping that this student would get involved in an actual debate but I think she's gone. I'd like to explore where she got these ideas. Is this really the standard being taught in school now? If so, we're in a world of hurt.

User avatar
Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire U.K.

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm

hmmm....now i'm interested in what beautyqueen would have been spamming in the first place??...could it be diet/slimming related?? I smell a troll.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Rucifer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Velcropop wrote:word
To your motha

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm

also that she noted she was going to spam didn't help. I totally get that many of you take pride in your understanding and learning. It's a pain to have to fend off these ridiculous claims. It's similar to people saying to me "Why don't insurance companies give me back my premiums if I had no claims? They are such crooks" Explaining the purpose of insurance much less Loss Ratios, can get old.

BQ won't be back. She never was legit, imo.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm

TimD wrote:I think what got the ire up in some of the others was the old thing about how high protein trashes the kidneys, which was probably started by the food processing company lobbyists, and how that person (beautyqueen) thought that as a med student, she was the end all-be all.
Tim
Yep, exactly. If she had just said "I heard somewhere that high protein is bad for the kidneys." I'd have just said that I didn't think that was true, and gone on from there. But when she came back citing her status as a med student as if that made her the ultimate authority, and then going through that patronizing little summary of protein metabolism and renal function, it pushed my hot button for sure.

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 pm

There is a difference in the way I handle these things too. Depending on what they, I will have a completely different response. If they just say, "I heard X", I will just say that's actually not true. However if someone challenges me and makes various fallacious attempts at an argument, I will shred it. This is only logical since they said various things, and you address each one. You also do so in like tone. Normally one would sweeten their post with polite niceties. However there is no reason to do that when someone speaks to you in such a way. Then they get the raw argument, without any polite, minced wording.

It's a question of "Well, that doesn't actually have any bearing on this" vs "That statement is irrelevant". The 2nd one isn't a personal attack, or rude per say, but the first one would be the polite version. I make no effort to be polite to people saying ridiculous arrogant things.

NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I'll play the devil's advocate in this thread.. does anyone have any scientific backing that a low carb diet is more efficient at losing body fat than a moderate carb diet of the same caloric intake?

User avatar
beautyqueen
n00b
n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:07 am
Contact:

Now, I'm sorry guys

Post by beautyqueen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 am

Since NightFaLL asked me to leave...and I won't be welcome here I won't write anymore. There are more than enough people in this forum, which I see are specialists in excersises and food diets. And NightFaLL, I'll tell you again - the study you're reffering to is 1 gram protein per pound. Do you think that a kid will know how much protein he/she consumes?

Bye.

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Now, I'm sorry guys

Post by Velcropop » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 am

beautyqueen wrote:...the study you're reffering to is 1 gram protein per pound. Do you think that a kid will know how much protein he/she consumes?
I would have though that most persons consuming > 1g protein per lb of bodyweight would be well aware of the amount of protein he or she consumes? God knows I have enough trouble actively exceeding 1.2g/lb a day, and that's with planning.

Unless, of course, your referring to children, in which case I can't really comment.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Now, I'm sorry guys

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm

beautyqueen wrote:Since NightFaLL asked me to leave...and I won't be welcome here I won't write anymore. There are more than enough people in this forum, which I see are specialists in excersises and food diets. And NightFaLL, I'll tell you again - the study you're reffering to is 1 gram protein per pound. Do you think that a kid will know how much protein he/she consumes?

Bye.
Nightfall doesn't have the authority to tell you to leave--that would have to be TimD or Ironman.

I'd be happy with you sticking around and treating the people on the forum with respect, asking honest questions, and offering thoughtful arguments for your point of view.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Wow. I missed this one. I think her referencing 6 years of medical school is quite funny. Especially since most doctors (our favorite Doc excluded of course) are absolutely clueless about exercise science and nutrition. Besides, now remember I aint nuthin but a dumb ass farmer, I thought medical school was three years plus one year of residency.

And since she says she intended to spam, what in the hell were the intentions? Why in hell would a doctor feel any reason to spam? Everything about this looks funny, walks funny and quacks funny.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Post by Jebus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am

And as strangely as she arrived, she was gone.

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

hoosegow wrote:Besides, now remember I aint nuthin but a dumb ass farmer, I thought medical school was three years plus one year of residency.
"I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

:lol:

Post Reply