Discussion of peer refereed articles and clinical applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Jungledoc--The hCG Diet?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 am

Jungledoc,

Back in about December I came across a question post by another board about the "The hCG Diet" for weight loss. My thought was that she meant HGH (human growth hormone). However, that wasn't the case. It was "The hCG Diet".

The only knowledge I had about hCG was it use in coming off anabolic steriods.

"The hCG Diet" is a "Very Low Calorie Diet", 500 kcals per day. Thus, my initial reaction that the hCG had nothing to do with it, it was the 500 kcal/day.

After researching, it now seems plausable that hCG may facilitate fat to be burned while muscle is retained.

I am curious as to your read on "The hCG Diet".

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Kenny Croxdale

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:02 am

Kenny--sorry I hadn't seen this thread before today. Sometimes the yellow flags turn off for no apparent reason.

I can't claim much knowledge of the hcg diet. A few months ago a friend started it with great fanfare (announced on Facebook!), but after about the second day he never said anything about it again.

It sounds bogus to me.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:39 pm

I could only see that working with T3. That's the only thing that would force your metabolism to stay up.

You do get some extra hcg released from fasting though. So a higher calorie approach that includes periodic fasting may work.

Toreishi
n00b
n00b

HCG is a scam

Post by Toreishi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:52 pm

The reason that people lose weight on this diet is -ta da!- that is requires a 500 cal/day regimen. By definition and physiology alone, ANYONE would lose weight with this little fuel.
There is NO science to back up the fallacious claims and, further, there is no long term study on the possible deleterious effects of increasing the amount of this hormone in one's system (That is , when the actual hormone is actually included in the drops/shots/etc. .....scores of "supplements" claim to have the hormone without actually having it. Placebo, anyone?)
Finally, this one has been around since the 60's albeit under different names. If it had been effective then don't you think that EVERYONE would be using it now. Walk on by this scam.

Jungledoc

Re: Jungledoc--The hCG Diet?

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:52 am

Hey! Turn someone else's existing thread into

:spam1:
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:35 am

Maybe this could be put under "visitor articles".
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Taken care of, user deleted.
180.191.128.0/18 banned.