Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: bench

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Will you just spam already!

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right. I think Einstein said that, or was it Yoda?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right
Point taken as I go kicking and screaming on the way to getting stronger:-)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:49 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:Was just wondering because my whole programme consists of 4x8 wether throwing in a 5x5 would be the right thing to do.
Why are so locked in to 4x8? It's an OK scheme, but there is nothing special about it. Whenever you stall, you have to change something. 5x5 is a time-honored scheme, especially for beginners.
matthewmccaw wrote:So it's OK to change it week by week or every now an then until I get the progress if I want?
There's a big difference between just changing around haphazardly and making planned, systematic changes. If you change week to week (as in adopt a scheme, than switch to something else next week and then change a gain the next) or day to day, it will be hard to assess how well anything is working. That's different that different weekly cycles that are part of your plan. For instance, "5/3/1" used 3x5 the first week, 3x3 the second week, and 5,3,1 the third week. Many plans use a light day and a heavy day. But to assess any workout plan, you have to stick with it for a few weeks. But if you do it faithfully for a reasonable number of weeks, and it isn't what you feel you want or need, then look for something else. So don't be afraid to change and try different approaches, but also don't just gad about from one plan to another for no good reason.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 pm

switch to inclines for a month then switch back.

Or dumbells for a month, or incline dumbell. Or dips. Lots of stuff you can try really.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:I would like to think this is not so but I you are probably right. Still how can I tell if it is my head or I just can't do it.
You can do it.

You just can't expect gains like an 18-22 year old male. None of us can, except the rare 18-22 year old male who'll actually stick with a program and eat to support the lifting.

There are kids like that at my gym - they mysteriously turn into giant, older versions of the skinny kids who walk in the door. Meanwhile I work as hard as I possibly can and I eke out another 1-2% of gains. Life isn't fair in that way, but who cares? Do what you can with what you've got. You're tossing around a 45-pound bar like it was a PVC pipe, and you're stronger than when you first got on these boards, so keep on doing what you are doing.

And BELIEVE! You are stronger than you think you are. And remember, no one's form is perfect, and you can train hard despite that. Check out Boris's latest post here:
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2011/07/str ... k-are.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 pm

robertscott wrote:switch to inclines for a month then switch back.

Or dumbells for a month, or incline dumbell. Or dips. Lots of stuff you can try really.
One of my chest days includes inclines the other declines one of the days also includes dips although because im tall I dont feel the bars are wide enough apart so it makes it more of a tricep exercise. I would use dumbells although because I broke my finger not so long ago I dont really have the grip for heavy dumbells.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:
robertscott wrote:switch to inclines for a month then switch back.

One of my chest days includes inclines the other declines one of the days also includes dips although because im tall I dont feel the bars are wide enough apart so it makes it more of a tricep exercise. I would use dumbells although because I broke my finger not so long ago I dont really have the grip for heavy dumbells.
OK, but again, whatever you are doing when you are stalled, do something different. Drop inclines or declines or both for a while. Or go heavy/low rep on one or the other, or high-volume or..., or..., or.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:09 am

Train your back with the same effort, frequency, and consistency as you've been training your bench. Do it for 8 weeks or so, cutting down how much you bench at the same time. Almost forget about benching whilst doing it. Make sure you actually get better at the back work i.e much stronger.

Watch your bench magically increase when you focus on it again.

The biggest issue by far I see in my commercial gym with regards to people's bench press is a weak back and poor form. I reckon 90% of people in a commercial gym probably don't need more chest, shoulder, or tricep work, since this probably already accounts for 80% of their training volume. They need a big strong back and better technique.

I've started telling people if they want to bench more, then do the following

One arm DB rows for atleast 3 reps with 44KG - 50KG DB's. STRICT.

A pull up variation (doesn't matter what one) with at least 20KG on a belt for at least 3 reps.

Fix your technique.

Most struggle with mid-30 KG DB rows when you make them lift strictly and most struggle doing more than 5 pull ups and often won't get one, chest to bar pull up with just body weight.

These are just want I find as bench mark indicators for a foundation required to have a decent bench press. In other words, if you can do this already and have decent technique, then start getting sexy with your programming. If not, then get the fundamentals. I can normally tell how people will perform on DB rows and pull ups just from watching and tweaking their form on bench press.

No one with a big bench has a weak back.

KPj

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 am

I see what you are saying although as it happens my back is actually my strongest area by far. My back day includes either one arm dumbell rows of up to 45 kgs of which I do 4x8 reps or bent over barbell rows changing from time to time. It also includes lat pulldowns or variations ie. cable pull downs with different attachments, my grips still not up to pull ups yet, also seated cable rows with different attachments. Dont have the grip for deadlifts again yet ( need a new pair of straps and hooks ) but my deadlift weight is double that of my bench. What I'm thinking is my shoulders might need a bit of work as I think my triceps are fine.

Thanks, Matthew.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:37 am

Oh, and a while ago reading the forums I brushed up on my bench tecnique tucking my legs back holding my breath an getting an arch...it really helped.

bam

Post by bam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:14 am

DLs are great for improving your grip. Forget about straps/hooks. Do pullups instead of pulldowns. Stand on bench or use bands and start with slow negs if you can't do pullups yet.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 am

matthewmccaw wrote:My back day includes either one arm dumbell rows of up to 45 kgs..................Dont have the grip for deadlifts again yet.

I don't quite understand?! How can you have grip for one arm rows but not deadlifts?!

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

[quote="bam"]DLs are great for improving your grip. Forget about straps/hooks. Do pullups instead of pulldowns. Stand on bench or use bands and start with slow negs if you can't do pullups yet.[/quote

I broke my finger a couple of months back I havn't regained full function yet. I can usually do pull ups and deadlifts fine :)

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 am

Proper Knob wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:My back day includes either one arm dumbell rows of up to 45 kgs..................Dont have the grip for deadlifts again yet.

I don't quite understand?! How can you have grip for one arm rows but not deadlifts?!
The deadlifts over 200 kgs.