MSG

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

MSG

Post by Paperclip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:22 pm

I thought Monosodium Glutamate is currently considered to be safe for consumption and doesn't need to be limited (maybe for some people who have unwanted reaction to it). But it has been mentioned here several times as something to be aware of. What gives?

stuward

Re: MSG

Post by stuward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:56 am

Just because something is "safe" doesn't make it healthy. MSG is a neurotoxin. There are many substance that are considered "safe" but have later been found to be dangerous. The latest was BPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#Research_into_health_effects
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 am

Reading that wiki article, it seems that it's not yet clear how dangerous the substance is. Are you taking the "better safe than sorry" route? Especially if cumulative effect is thought to be possible.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:25 am

I think "better safe than sorry" is prudent. I think MSG is unhealthy. The Wiki is a little bit too politically correct. There is a common assumption that anything approved by government must be OK and that's not always true. MSG is used in far greater quantities than was ever expected. A liitle may not be harmful, but in modern quantities, who knows?

Most research on it is old. There is some new material out there but not much. I have a tendancy to distrust anything that has a money motive to maintain it.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:39 am

there's a good mark's daily apple article about it. I'm too lazy to provide the link but 2 seconds on google'll find it.

The gist was basically that it might be harmful, or it might not, but it's only ever added to the processed crap you should be avoiding anyway

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Aspertame! <---- trolling ?