SHOULDER PRESS

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

SHOULDER PRESS

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Hey, I haven't posted in a while ( just been browsing the forums ). My progression has stopped with my press and am just looking a bit of advice on how to improve it. I'm thinking what is the antagonist to the deltoids as a group ( not seperately ie. anterior/posterior ) I assume it's the traps therefore do you think a bit of trap work would help? I think my triceps are strong enough.

Thanks, Matthew.

CorlessJohnJ

Re: SHOULDER PRESS

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 pm

What do you think you are lacking then? Do over head push pressing focusing on a controlled decent aka the eccentric range of motion.... try to go with a weight you normally couldn't lift with great form push press the hell out of it do what you can I'd aim for 6-8 reps...do that for about three sets each shoulder day alternating beginning or end and see if that adds anything for you....

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 pm

The traps, lats and pecs all antagonize the deltoids.

Have you tried changing up your rep/set scheme for the press? What sort of progression have you been using? Linear? If so, it's probably time for some periodization in some form or another.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Well I don't know much but I do know it's important to know how the missed reps happen. Is it that you can't get the bar off your shoulders? Or it sticks somewhere near eye or forehead level, or you lose steam completely near the top and can't lock out? Is it failure to improve reps at low intensity, or to increase weight at high intensity?

I'm really asking not because I can give specific advice on what to do, but if you fill in those details and somebody gives you a good answer, I'll be carefully taking notes...

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:My progression has stopped with my press and am just looking a bit of advice on how to improve it..
Just curious - what other exercises are you doing that involve the anterior delts (bench press, dips,ect). Are you stalled with them, too?

Also, how do your pulling exercise weights compare to your pushing exercises?

Christianiron.com
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Christianiron.com » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:12 am

Sometimes just trying different exercises for the same groups can help, or changing rep schemes, grip styles, etc can help. If you always do standing OH press, for example; some behind the neck work or heavy 1arm dumbbell work might help. Training the posterior and mid delts for overall shoulder girdle strength is a good idea,too. Are you using periodization or doing mostly a prescribed rep count all the time? Often just "recycling" down to a lighter weight with higher reps and building back up will put you at a higher # down the road. May require a combo of all above.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:18 am

A bit of backround to what I'v been doing, I was doing a 4 day split with linear progression. A while ago I started having shoulder blade pain. I thought it was from lifting with bad form or overdoing it or something like that. So while I was resting I tried to think of away to still train and what seemed to make sense was to start stronglifts that way I could drop weight by half concentrate on form and by the time I got heavy agian I was hoping my shoulder blade would be alright....since that the physio has said that he thinks I'v shermans disease because of the rounding of my thoracic and the dip in my lumber spine which is causing the pain I'v still to get an x-ray..but anyway he said I should keep at the gym as the more muscular my back the better supported it would be. So I,v been carrying on with stronglifts mon, wed and fridays then on saturdays just going to the gym an doing what I felt like basically with some motive tho.
So I'm thinking of maybe making a plan for the saturdays ie. on a week were I do the day which is..deadlift, shoulder press etc twice. I'l work on increasing my bench with delt work, negatives, explosive pressups etc. On the week were I have bench, row etc I'l work on the Saturday increasing my shoulder press with upright rows, shrugs, some delt raises, dumbell shoulder press etc and go for 4x10 rep scheme and push reps out quickly.
My sticking point on shoulder press is off the shoulders and bench off the chest.
Whats your opinions on the Saturday workouts ?
Thanks, Matthew.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:37 am

Try these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWNVp2Ht0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zachdechant.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... -mobility/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 pm

stuward wrote:Try these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWNVp2Ht0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zachdechant.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... -mobility/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers Stu although strangely enogh my mobility in my back is above normal! It's just the pain that gets me I need to lie down every now an then and use heat packs.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:56 pm

you might find that your posture goes all to hell once you start to fatigue. That'll hold you back a bit.

Make sure when you set up to push you get your abs tight, and squeeze your glutes. That'll get you stiff as a board for when you press. Also, flex your lats, that'll keep your upper back tight.

If you've not been doing that then give it a try. Of course, this advice only applies if you're talking about a standing press...

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:My progression has stopped with my press and am just looking a bit of advice on how to improve it..
Just curious - what other exercises are you doing that involve the anterior delts (bench press, dips,ect). Are you stalled with them, too?

Also, how do your pulling exercise weights compare to your pushing exercises?
I'v stalled with my bench for ages Stephen, off the chest, my pulling exercises are twice as strong as my pushing..although i think a lot of tall people get this.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Post by tyciol » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Jungledoc wrote:The traps, lats and pecs all antagonize the deltoids.
I understand why you say lats/pecs since they're adductors and delts are abductors... but the traps help to rotate the scapulae up and help with pressing. I don't see how they could be delt antagonists, they don't even cross the same joints. Trap is pure scapulothoracic, delt is pure glenohumeral.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:34 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:I'v stalled with my bench for ages Stephen, off the chest, my pulling exercises are twice as strong as my pushing..although i think a lot of tall people get this.
That shoots down my theory - I felt that your pulling power was lagging and that was holding up your pressing. Dang! :frown:

I'm tall myself, and my pulling power has always been better than my pressing power, especially horizontally. It must go with the territory.

My only thought is, have you ever done any power training? If you're stuck at the bottom of a press, increasing your initial force might help you move the bar past the sticking point.

You mentioned doing explosive pressups (pushups as we say this side of the pond). You might want to add push presses or speed work with 40-50% of your regular military press. Try to explode up at the start of the lift. It might work, it might not.

Good luck

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 am

I'v stalled with my bench for ages Stephen, off the chest, my pulling exercises are twice as strong as my pushing..although i think a lot of tall people get this.
Short people too.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 am

tyciol wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:The traps, lats and pecs all antagonize the deltoids.
I understand why you say lats/pecs since they're adductors and delts are abductors... but the traps help to rotate the scapulae up and help with pressing. I don't see how they could be delt antagonists, they don't even cross the same joints. Trap is pure scapulothoracic, delt is pure glenohumeral.
You're right.