How much cholesterol do we need per day?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

How much cholesterol do we need per day?

Post by Paperclip » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Especially for us who exercise regularly (it may still be the same but I dunno).

I've been reading that cholesterol consumption has no relation to blood cholesterol level but people who have fears from consuming "too much" cholesterol still say that because we don't need to consume it in a great amount (also the body can make its own cholesterol) and it's almost impossible to eat too little cholesterol in a modern diet, we should limit our cholesterol intake.

Jungledoc

Re: How much cholesterol do we need per day?

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:42 am

What would you limit along with it?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 am

Jungledoc wrote:What would you limit along with it?
Exactly. Cholestrol is found only in animal food. There are misguided folk that think that eating animals is immoral and unhealthy and then there are those of that know that they're wrong. Avoidance of dietary cholestrol has led to systemic deficiencies in protein and several micronutrients, such as choline, B vitamins and all fat soluble vitamins. We now have malnurishment in the land of plenty due to guidance like this.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:00 am

Paperclip wrote:Especially for us who exercise regularly (it may still be the same but I dunno).

I've been reading that cholesterol consumption has no relation to blood cholesterol level but people who have fears from consuming "too much" cholesterol still say that because we don't need to consume it in a great amount (also the body can make its own cholesterol) and it's almost impossible to eat too little cholesterol in a modern diet, we should limit our cholesterol intake.
Cholesterol Fobia

There fears are based on ignorance.

"If you sceam something long enough, people believe it."

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 am

Jungledoc wrote:What would you limit along with it?
Eggs. Lol.

I also like to eat brain, squids, and organs (meat). My father who have had a heart attack once abhors them absolutely now.