Gain muscle/getting stronger while in a caloric deficit?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

xshawnxearthx

Gain muscle/getting stronger while in a caloric deficit?

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Is it possible?

I've been going up and down with my weight for awhile, and I'm really trying to nip it in the bud once and for all. So I mapped out my intake and I've been at a deficit for the past week or so. Lost 2-3lbs in the last week and I feel like I'm getting stronger. Been getting back into the swing of things, lifts went up this week, which is always good. Am I just going to be spinning my wheels by trying to do both?

I lift 3 days a week. Concentrate on the big three, throw in some auxiliary work. Is the key to keep my carbs down?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Gain muscle/getting stronger while in a caloric deficit?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm

I understand the ability to gain muscle mass while losing fat becomes much more difficult the leaner you get; but that's a general & vague understanding.

Of course you can also get stronger with your same muscle mass, more so early on in training age.

I definately lost strength the one month I lost serious weight, I did it wrong, not consuming ampple protein.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm

From what I've been reading, I need to cut back my carbs and ramp up my proteins. Looks like it's time to get back to making beef jerky for my snacks!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:43 am

All of that is correct.