5x5 Question...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

5x5 Question...

Post by jeffrerr » Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 am

I'm considering moving on to a Bill Starr 5x5 after a second round of Starting Strength (with Pull Ups added) and I see that it includes weighted hypers and weighted dips as accessory exercises. I don't have the equipment to do either of these and was looking for replacement options that stay as close to these exercises as possible, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Good Mornings and Bench/Chair Dips?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: 5x5 Question...

Post by robertscott » Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 am

i wouldn't do bench dips personally, they can be pretty hard on the shoulder. I'd do a dumbell press.

good mornings'll be fine

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 am

robertscott wrote:i wouldn't do bench dips personally, they can be pretty hard on the shoulder. I'd do a dumbell press.

good mornings'll be fine
Sounds good, would making it a decline DB press make much difference or would be pretty much the same?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun May 13, 2012 9:19 am

yeah you could do a decline press if you like. I don't personally like to do decline work because I think your time is better spent emphasising the upper chest, but you could do decline for a month, then flat for a month, then incline, and so on.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for the advice BTW, I forgot to thank you straight away! After lifting 113.1kg on squats last night I feel I'll be done with the Starting Strength program before I complete a 2nd run at it, I just can't see me getting to a 3x5 of 157.5kg squat nor 1x5 of the same on deadlift in 6 weeks from where I'm at right now! So when I hit a sticking point I'll switch things up to the 5x5 at around the same weight and this info will come in very handy!