Protein suppliments

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Urza285
n00b
n00b

Protein suppliments

Post by Urza285 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 am

I went out and bought a 2lb tub and it stated to not take more than 5 servings in a 24 hour period. Each serving is 30g and suggests taking 2 serving twice a day as meal teplacements. From what I've been told here from fellow patrons I should be pushing at least 130g protein which is 2/3 my weight in protein g/lb.

So I'm guessing I should be obtaining the other 1/3 protein from my meals?

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Protein suppliments

Post by Dub » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

Supplementing protein by current research has no real limit, or atleast any serious overdose worry or anything. It' usually about the amount you need that people argue about. Some talk about the amount the body can absorb at once, but there's no real limit either.

My main point in any kind of supplements is that you shouldn't be replacing real food with it. It comes as a bonus to your diet, not as a replacement. So yeah, get as much as you possibly can from real food sources, then use the protein on the side. I get about 60-80% protein from the food and rest from the supplement. That's about 70g of protein powder every day.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 am

You should be getting MOST of your protein from your meals. The supplemental protein should be only for convenience when your meals can't supply enough.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed May 16, 2012 11:21 am

woah, two thirds of your protein intake from shakes is crazy.

Food is just more than macronutrients. Real, solid foods have loads of nutrients you need too.

Urza285
n00b
n00b

Post by Urza285 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am

Oh I eat lmfao. I don't starve myself. I eat 5-6 small meals a day its just I don't think I get that much protein from my meals. I might have to start counting the gram to see what I'm getting, but I definitely don't think I get that much to cover the 1g/lb.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 16, 2012 12:06 pm

There are several online calorie counters that will do the math for you.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed May 16, 2012 1:17 pm

if you are eating 6 meals a day, 130g should be easy

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Urza285 wrote:Oh I eat lmfao. I don't starve myself. I eat 5-6 small meals a day its just I don't think I get that much protein from my meals.
Could you give us a breakdown of what makes up your meals?
Thanks TimD

Urza285
n00b
n00b

Post by Urza285 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Not really I'm not very structured because I seem to never have time to do much.

Winson
former lurker

Post by Winson » Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi,
As per my knowledge the most benign thing about protein supplements is that you're only wasting money. You reap little benefit and instead put yourself at risk for kidney, bone and heart disease. Your meals should be balanced with the right amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Choose a portion of a protein source such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, legumes or tofu and serve with a side of green and colorful vegetables.

Thanks,
Commercial reference deleted by mod

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 pm

delete
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Winson wrote:Hi,
As per my knowledge the most benign thing about protein supplements is that you're only wasting money. You reap little benefit and instead put yourself at risk for kidney, bone and heart disease. Your meals should be balanced with the right amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Choose a portion of a protein source such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, legumes or tofu and serve with a side of green and colorful vegetables.
There is certainly no credible evidence for risk of renal, bone or heart disease. One might debate how effective concentrated supplements are over an equal about of dietary protein, but there's no risk of harm involved.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks,
:laughing3:
Thanks TimD.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks,
i love everything about this post

my bones! My poor, delicate bones!