5/3/1 template

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

NickAbe57
Rookie
Rookie

5/3/1 template

Post by NickAbe57 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:43 pm

I know, you're probably tired of these questions by now but perhaps you can help with one more...

Been running 5/3/1 with some success, put approx 50 lbs on all lifts. anyway, i'm going to start soccer season soon, both outdoor and indoor, and am wondering which template i should use while im in season. two a week? full body? I'm doing 3-4x a week right now.

thanks for any help
nick

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: 5/3/1 template

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 pm

it depends
not enough info/details
decide -> monitor - > Adjust? - > Repeat

pick one of those answers

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:48 pm

How many times a week there's soccer? What's the intensity? What kind of training? Do you have specific goals? Is there anything else in your life except lifting and soccer (How much time do you actually have to eat, train and sleep?)

These help us to get started. Doing resistance training on-season with a different sport is one topic that will surely cause very diverse opinions and hate-hoots.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

NickAbe57
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickAbe57 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Well, I'll be playing Saturdays and Sundays, lots of running as you might imagine. I don't know how to qualify the intensity; its a competitive league, many teams are comprised of former division I soccer athletes, and our team ordinarily finishes in the top 3. the goals inquiry is a good question. Before, I wanted to gain size, now I think i would like to maintain my size, perhaps increase endurance and get stronger if possible. I know it will be difficult while 'serving two masters'. I work an 8-5, 40-44 hours a week, so nothing too grueling or anything.

thanks for the help

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

You might want to group your lifting from Sunday post game to about Wednesday. You can go everyday in there if you want. Just give your muscles a chance to recover before game time.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I would do the "I'm Not Doing Jack $h1t" or "just North Of Vag" template.

kibe69

Post by kibe69 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

NickAbe57 wrote:I know, you're probably tired of these questions by now but perhaps you can help with one more...

Been running 5/3/1 with some success, put approx 50 lbs on all lifts. anyway, i'm going to start soccer season soon, both outdoor and indoor, and am wondering which template i should use while im in season. two a week? full body? I'm doing 3-4x a week right now.

thanks for any help
nick
Wendler has couple of 2-days a week templates for athletes or busy person's

Something like

day1 531 squat, bench, assistance
day2 531 deadlift, press, assistance

this can be too hard on lower body though

another template would be

week 1

day 1 531 bench,assistance
day 2 531 squat, assistance

week 2

day 1 531 press, assistance
day 2 531 deadlift, assistance

I guess both would work if the assistance focuses on upper body depends on your body i guess. I barely recover between dl and squat even without assistance not to mention sports :)