Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:32 pm

"Powerlifters arms just look big because they're fat." - robertscott

Powerlifting has weight classes. Those in the heaviest weight classes are often overweight, but those in the lighter weight classes are generally pretty lean. They have to be, since a lifter who's 200 lbs and fat would have a hard time competing with lifters who are the same weight and lean.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Matt Z wrote:I used to train like a bodybuilder, so I can't say with certainty how much of my arm development is due to compound exercises vrs. isolation exercises. However, the fact that I could completely drop all the isolation exercises from my program with no loss in muscle mass suggests that curls and extensions are overrated.

I think beginners are better off starting with just compound movements. Then after learning the big lifts and packing on some muscle mass, they can try adding some isolation exercises if they wish to address any lagging areas. However, for many this just isn't neccissary.

PS) On a related not I never got much out of Dumbbell/Cable Laterals and Bent-over Laterals, but my delts have responded well to lifts like High Pulls and Rear Delt Rows.
are you by any chance quite short and stocky? The reason I ask is that in my experience short, barrelly types don't tend to need isolation moves but taller, long limbed people do...

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Matt Z wrote:"Powerlifters arms just look big because they're fat." - robertscott

Powerlifting has weight classes. Those in the heaviest weight classes are often overweight, but those in the lighter weight classes are generally pretty lean. They have to be, since a lifter who's 200 lbs and fat would have a hard time competing with lifters who are the same weight and lean.
bodybuilding has weight classes too...

...my comment wasn't really serious, I was just poking fun at hoose for saying bodybuilders arms only look big because they're lean

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by hoosegow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Way back when...

TimD, me and a few others had a discussion that this reminds me of. Make no mistake robert, I have the utmost respect for all those who lift weights as a hobby/passion. I'm not dogging bodybuilding or training like a body builder. I've done it myself. Anyway, back to my point.

I liken the different disciplines of training to people who like to work on cars. For lack of a better term, we are all just bio-mechanics. I think the conversation ended up something like:

Bodybuilders are like the guys who like to build show-cars. They are not very practical, but damn they look good.

Powerlifters are like dragster guys - they are very strong for short bursts

TimD was just and old car guy that was trying to keep the jalopy running.

The point is that car guys respect the other disciplines because they know how hard the work is. We, as bio-mechanics do the same thing. The finer points are dependent on the goals and can be argued.

Bottom line, maybe we should just agree to disagree.
Thanks TimD.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 pm

"are you by any chance quite short and stocky? The reason I ask is that in my experience short, barrelly types don't tend to need isolation moves but taller, long limbed people do..." - robertscott

Yes. I'm built like a well-fed Neanderthal, ... 5'6" with short limbs and a big ribcage.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 pm

hoosegow wrote:TimD was just and old car guy that was trying to keep the jalopy running.
:smile:
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by KPj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

It's worth saying that robertscott has ordered tickets to the Gun Show, which is tomorrow. He will see in real life the results of my No-Curls-Bicep-Routine and, quite frankly, will be blown away. Especially after the squatting session when my biceps will be so pumped they'll need escorted out of the gym.

Expect the following message after Saturday,

"Hoose, you were right, I was wrong..... P.s the Lochness Monster is real and has a twin brother. They live in KPj's Biceps".

KPj
Thanks TimD

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Matt Z wrote:"Yes. I'm built like a well-fed Neanderthal, ... 5'6" with short limbs and a big ribcage.
Did your interest in strength training at all stem from a short man complex ?

no offense.
you could probably toss me 10 yards

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Matt Z » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I was only 11 when I started lifting, so I didn't then know how tall I would end up being.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Matt Z wrote:I was only 11 when I started lifting, so I didn't then know how tall I would end up being.
you got a good early start.

cheers.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by robertscott » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:59 pm

hoosegow wrote:Way back when...

TimD, me and a few others had a discussion that this reminds me of. Make no mistake robert, I have the utmost respect for all those who lift weights as a hobby/passion. I'm not dogging bodybuilding or training like a body builder. I've done it myself. Anyway, back to my point.

I liken the different disciplines of training to people who like to work on cars. For lack of a better term, we are all just bio-mechanics. I think the conversation ended up something like:

Bodybuilders are like the guys who like to build show-cars. They are not very practical, but damn they look good.

Powerlifters are like dragster guys - they are very strong for short bursts

TimD was just and old car guy that was trying to keep the jalopy running.

The point is that car guys respect the other disciplines because they know how hard the work is. We, as bio-mechanics do the same thing. The finer points are dependent on the goals and can be argued.

Bottom line, maybe we should just agree to disagree.
yeah man, I think we probably agree on a lot more than we disagree on. I'll keep curling, you can keep being strong :)

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by robertscott » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:00 pm

KPj wrote:It's worth saying that robertscott has ordered tickets to the Gun Show, which is tomorrow. He will see in real life the results of my No-Curls-Bicep-Routine and, quite frankly, will be blown away. Especially after the squatting session when my biceps will be so pumped they'll need escorted out of the gym.

Expect the following message after Saturday,

"Hoose, you were right, I was wrong..... P.s the Lochness Monster is real and has a twin brother. They live in KPj's Biceps".

KPj
haha! I've seen your paltry gun show in the past and was less than impressed! You'll have to have done some pretty serious non-curling to redeem yourself

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Bicep work with limited wrist involvement

Post by Ironman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:14 am

I remember the car thread.

Post Reply