do you use gloves or grips?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by stuward » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm

KenDowns wrote:...
If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.
I often wondered about the safety of this strategy. I generally never use straps for farmers walks but I have in the past. If you're walking with a weight that is too much for your grip and you start to fatique, what fails first and what happens next? You can't drop the bar quickly. Are you risking injury doing this?
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm

grip fails me first on farmers walks, RDLs, and OH grip dls.

I'm working on it

I wont use straps

User avatar
KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by KenDowns » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 pm

stuward wrote:
KenDowns wrote:...
If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.
I often wondered about the safety of this strategy. I generally never use straps for farmers walks but I have in the past. If you're walking with a weight that is too much for your grip and you start to fatique, what fails first and what happens next? You can't drop the bar quickly. Are you risking injury doing this?
My thought, and I have not tried it yet, is that if I can maintain a completely upright posture but the bars are slipping with a few feet to go, I'd prefer to be able to finish. Or so I'm thinking now. Who knows, maybe grip will not become an issue?

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 am

KenDowns wrote:Back to the original question, I use gloves outside when doing farmers walks, or anything else where I'd have to grab a freezing cold metal bar.

If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.
If I started failing at anything because of grip, I'd start training grip. Actually, I already train grip, but if you have trouble with your grip, train your grip.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 am

Jungledoc wrote:
KenDowns wrote:Back to the original question, I use gloves outside when doing farmers walks, or anything else where I'd have to grab a freezing cold metal bar.

If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.
If I started failing at anything because of grip, I'd start training grip. Actually, I already train grip, but if you have trouble with your grip, train your grip.
word.

but I understand the rationale of the other side

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am

Oscar, you must have done a stealth delete. Waddid you say?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Oscar, you must have done a stealth delete. Waddid you say?
Why do you think I deleted something ?

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Because what you posted made no sense as it is. I assumed that anything you posted would make perfect sense, therefore, you must have intended to say more.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: do you use gloves or grips?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 am

makes sense to me.

:razz:

Post Reply