Some questions for workout program

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

led7x
Novice
Novice
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:47 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by led7x » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

robertscott wrote:
led7x wrote:So this is what I came up with

Upper A (Horizontal Push/pull):
-Dumbbell press
-Dumbbell flys
-Dumbbell rows variations
-Pushups Variations

Lower A:
- Squats
- Deadlifts
-Good mornings
-Abs

Upper B (Vertical push/pull):
-Pull ups variations
-Overhead shoulder press
-Inverted rows
-Dips

Lower B:
-Squats
-Deadlift
-Lunges
-Abs

I need some exercises for vertical push/pull and here to dips belong and what about repetitions?
you could put in dips on Upper Day B. Inverted rows would work well here too. A good rule of thumb is to balance presses and pulls, so maybe add some face pulls to Upper A.

add another hamstring exercise to Lower A and another quad exercise to Lower B.
I modified it,I found many variations for every exercise so it wont get monotonous; what about reps an sets? I know its best to go with 8-12reps, but how many sets? Is exercise order important?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by robertscott » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm

led7x wrote:
robertscott wrote:
led7x wrote:So this is what I came up with

Upper A (Horizontal Push/pull):
-Dumbbell press
-Dumbbell flys
-Dumbbell rows variations
-Pushups Variations

Lower A:
- Squats
- Deadlifts
-Good mornings
-Abs

Upper B (Vertical push/pull):
-Pull ups variations
-Overhead shoulder press
-Inverted rows
-Dips

Lower B:
-Squats
-Deadlift
-Lunges
-Abs

I need some exercises for vertical push/pull and here to dips belong and what about repetitions?
you could put in dips on Upper Day B. Inverted rows would work well here too. A good rule of thumb is to balance presses and pulls, so maybe add some face pulls to Upper A.

add another hamstring exercise to Lower A and another quad exercise to Lower B.
I modified it,I found many variations for every exercise so it wont get monotonous; what about reps an sets? I know its best to go with 8-12reps, but how many sets? Is exercise order important?
3-5 sets per exercise, whatever rep range you want. 8-12 is fine. The rep range isn't important, it's progression that matters. Say one week you can lift a weight 8 times, next time you want to either get more reps at the same weight or 8 reps at a higher weight.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

You'll only know what's best for you as an individual as you gain experience. You will try different methods and approaches, and you will develop your own ideas as to what is best.

Full body works well for many people. Upper/lower works well for many. There are lots of variations of each of those.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm

this is embarrassing

All these 20 cent answers for a 5 Cent problem
Remember how this is simple (see Hoose post)

Hey, what's it my worry. Good point.

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by ephs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:this is embarrassing

All these 20 cent answers for a 5 Cent problem
Remember how this is simple (see Hoose post)

Hey, what's it my worry. Good point.
yes, the ongoing battles about no isolation vs. isolation and strength training vs. bodybuilding etc. hijack every thread. it should be clear that nobody comes up with 8-12 reps for main lifts or zercher squats, if the OP wants to set his focus on increasing strength.
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by KPj » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:59 am

The most important thing for a beginner is consistency.

Nothing else actually matters. You can think of the worse program you can come up with. If you do it consistently and get better at it, your physique will improve.

No split covers every muscle perfectly.

No training program will cause every muscle on your body to grow evenly.

You can't achieve perfection in one training program, or one training year, or even one training decade, so don't worry about making things perfect. Just make things better than they currently are.

Just get in and lift, consistently, get better, and make a conscious effort to eat more. I guarantee 2-3 months of this, and your original question will be much easier to answer (if you even need to ask it again). And you'll make progress.

KPj

p.s The only people I struggle to get this message across to are young beginner males. They are actually the reason i've started saying this. If I get asked about another crazy supplement i've never heard of by someone who doesn't "train", or my opinion on some awkard forearm curl variation and the likes, i'll explode.

I actually prefer training women and older adults, they don't have their heads filled with the same nonsense.

p.p.s Meant in the nicest possible way. I've been on the same boat as said young adult males.
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by robertscott » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 am

ephs wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:this is embarrassing

All these 20 cent answers for a 5 Cent problem
Remember how this is simple (see Hoose post)

Hey, what's it my worry. Good point.
yes, the ongoing battles about no isolation vs. isolation and strength training vs. bodybuilding etc. hijack every thread. it should be clear that nobody comes up with 8-12 reps for main lifts or zercher squats, if the OP wants to set his focus on increasing strength.
you're the worst poster we've had on this site in years. If your 8RM goes up, you've gotten stronger, just like if your 5RM goes up, or your 3RM or whatever. Can you really not understand that? You honestly think adding a couple more reps makes your body suddenly switch from strength mode to mass mode? What a chump.

Also, LOL at you telling anyone about how to be strong...

We've had some bad posters on this site before, but at least they've been interesting. I could almost handle your parroted dogma if it wasn't so boring. Take whatever dogmatic crap you've gleaned from the starting strength wiki and shove it up your hypertrophy starved arse.

Maybe I'll get lucky and you'll fall down a well. You won't be able to climb out as you don't train a vertical pull and have mimsy little lats.

Until then, you are the second ever poster to make it to my ignore list.

You sir, are an idiot. Good day.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am

We need to make our points without getting personal.

For the first time in my moderator career I'm proud to say:

We're locked.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by Ironman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 am

Congrats on your first lock. That's exactly what was needed here.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Some questions for workout program

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks, IM. I just discovered that we can post on locked topics!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Locked