Yet Another "Help my with a routine" question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Yet Another "Help my with a routine" question

Post by Dub » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 am

I don't like going to absolute failure too often. In fact, I rarely work till failure myself. I work very close to failure (1-2 reps), or to a technical failure (when form starts to crack). And I believe I still get as much benefit from it as going to failure. Here's a nice study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?ter ... to+failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

"In conclusion, going to complete failure during lateral raise is not necessary to recruit the entire motor unit pool in untrained women--i.e., muscle activity reached a plateau 3-5 repetitions from failure with an elastic resistance of approximately 15 RM"

Always going to a total failure will teach and accomondate you to lose and fail, and it's bloody heavy to the nervous system. I still like programs like 531 and I still utilize back-off sets that have max reps with 50% load. But I never fail. I'll only go to failure when testing for 1RM.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 pm

In that case a Mon, Tues, Thurs,Fri or M, W, F, S or something like that might be a good way to go. Certainly a M, W, F routine would work very well. If you wanted to split the full-body up, you could day 1 on M, day 2 on W, day 1 on F, then day on M and continue alternating.

Going to failure on the lighter, isolation moves isn't so bad, but I stand by my advice to rarely if ever go beyond technical failure on the compound moves.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

chrisl
n00b
n00b

Post by chrisl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks so much! I am going to go with the mon/tue/thu/fri split.

One question about dumbbell versions of the exercises: which specific dumbbell deadlift variation do you recommend? It would seem there are many varieties.

I added goblet squats yesterday and wow, those are great.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 am

Probably an RDL.