Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

emil3m
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basic questions about BCAAs

Post by emil3m » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

1. Do you recommend taking them?

2. If yes, how/when should they be taken?

3. How to go about picking one over another?

What do you think of this one by Opt Nutrition?

Thanks!

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Basic questions about BCAAs

Post by Dub » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am

I'll return with a question:
Why would you take them? What are your goals/purposes on taking AA supplements?

I'd just take Leucine post-workout. It's the best and most useful one of those Amino acids. 5g is enough to get your insulin going up and getting HUUGE. I have taken leucine for some time now, I think it works well IN ADDITION to good diet.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 am

Examine. com has a page on BCAAs. http://examine.com/supplements/Branched ... ino+Acids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 am

I only take them if I train fasted but saying that, I just have Whey Isolate currently.

emil3m
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by emil3m » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 am

Dub, I life heavy. Heavy in relative terms of course. In the sense that every workout I try to lift heavier. So my goal is to get the most benefit out of it. I eat very clean already.

This is a bro-science free zone, so I asked this question because I wanted to know the personal opinion of people on this forum regarding BCAAs. More specifically, whether they are completely obsolete and a supplement industry gimmick or actually quite useful.

I take advice from this forum very seriously. I came here with a program that was the complete opposite of what I do now. I've even remodeled my home gym strictly based on information from this forum.

Stu, I'm pretty anal about doing research. I did read plenty of theory about BCAA's. Looking for hands-on and first-hand experience as well as simply personal opinions.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 am

emil3m wrote:...

Stu, I'm pretty anal about doing research. I did read plenty of theory about BCAA's. Looking for hands-on and first-hand experience as well as simply personal opinions.
That site is my go-to now on supplements. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was there. In general, I avoid all supplements and try to get what I need from real food. There are some supplements that are worth while like creatine, but whether more esoteric ones are worth it is a personal opinion. That site will usually give a pretty good survey of the literature although it's a continual work in progress. One of the writers, Sol Orwell, has been on this forum, and he's pretty open to questions.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:24 am

ergo-log.com has about a billion articles on the benefits of BCAAs too.

emil3m
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by emil3m » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 am

Stu, I never heard of examine before, so thanks for that.

Robert, based on your reply, I'm assuming you take them. How? Many say "only on the mornings of my days off."

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:27 am

emil3m wrote:Stu, I never heard of examine before, so thanks for that.

Robert, based on your reply, I'm assuming you take them. How? Many say "only on the mornings of my days off."
I use them for fasted training. Supposedly, they stop you breaking down muscle during fasted workouts, and activate the muscle building pathways to a greater degree.

Honestly, I don't think they make all that much difference, and if I wasn't fasting I'd not bother.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 am

BCAA's are also used to get your insulin levels up without carbs. Especially leucine has an effect of elevating insulin levels. This can be utilized on Muscle growth, recovery and prevention of catabolism. Plus, like Bob said, they also have an effect on some muscle building pathways.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.