New Cable Station

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

New Cable Station

Post by Matt Z » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 pm

My gym got their new multi cable station on Thursday. It includes two cable stations, three kettlebells, pull-up bars, dipping bars, a heavybag and a medicine ball with a trampoline gizmo. As I mentioned previously, this new piece of equipment is for the exclusive use of the trainers and their clients. They even have yellow chains up around it to keep anyone else from going near it.

The really strange part though is that they're selling it as a workout program with group classes. To use it, gym members need to pay a $99 start-up fee, plus $30 per 30 minute session, during which time up to five other people may use the equipment. That's in addition to their regular membership fee.

I'm not sure yet if each person gets their own trainer, or if the entire class shares one trainer. So far, I haven't seen anyone use it.

Matt Z

Re: New Cable Station

Post by Matt Z » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Oddly the kettlebells have smooth chrome handles. This seems very dangerous to me, since they're going to be hard to hold onto with sweaty hands.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Needless to say, many gym members aren't too happy about this development, and some are even talking about leaving.

Part of the problem is that the management have allowed some of the regular gym equipment to fall into disrepair recently. For example, many of the dumbbells are bent and the existing multi-cable station needs new cables and pulleys.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 am

Sounds sad.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

So far, there hasn't been much interest in the new equipment. They've even started doing free classes for first-time users, but, while a number of people have done the free classes, very few have signed up for additional classes. This is cause for concern, since the owners spent a lot on money expecting a big return. They bought one of these things for each of their three locations, at a rumored cost of around $20,000 each.