Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Post Reply
Crow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am

Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Crow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am

The main difference I see is the different back-angle? DB Row with Torso parallel to the ground and Kroc Row with what looks like a 45°-angle...

How does that affect the muscles trained with the Kroc Row compared to the One-arm DB Row? More emphasis on the upper back?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by robertscott » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Kroc rows aren't really a separate exercise. It's just a dumbell row done using straps and a bit of body english so you can get a zillion reps with a heavy weight. It's just become a fashionable thing to call our dumbell rows Kroc rows now because it makes you sound HARDCORE TO THE MAX

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Matt Z » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

What do you call it when you do strict Rear Delt Rows for high reps with the heaviest dumbbell available? :cool:

Crow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Crow » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am

robertscott wrote:Kroc rows aren't really a separate exercise. It's just a dumbell row done using straps and a bit of body english so you can get a zillion reps with a heavy weight. It's just become a fashionable thing to call our dumbell rows Kroc rows now because it makes you sound HARDCORE TO THE MAX
Thats because I asked about the different angle of the torso... :wink:

O. k. ... let me put it differently... How does the angle of the body affect the activation of muscles in the back? More involvement of the upper back (including upper trapezius?) with a 45°-angle?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 am

45-degree angle + Neutral grip = Lats & Middle/Lower Traps
Parallel to floor + Neutral grip = Longer range-of-motion with more Rhomboid and Rear Delt involvement.

Using a pronated grip (elbow out) and pulling to the chest turns a DB Row into a Rear Delt Row. ... Lots of Rear Delt and Rhomboids, with less help of the lats.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by robertscott » Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 am

Crow wrote:
robertscott wrote:Kroc rows aren't really a separate exercise. It's just a dumbell row done using straps and a bit of body english so you can get a zillion reps with a heavy weight. It's just become a fashionable thing to call our dumbell rows Kroc rows now because it makes you sound HARDCORE TO THE MAX
Thats because I asked about the different angle of the torso... :wink:

O. k. ... let me put it differently... How does the angle of the body affect the activation of muscles in the back? More involvement of the upper back (including upper trapezius?) with a 45°-angle?
It's still the same exercise. You can do a dumbell row with a more upright torso. Lots of people do. Doesn't make it a Kroc row...

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by robertscott » Thu May 01, 2014 4:46 am

Matt Z wrote:What do you call it when you do strict Rear Delt Rows for high reps with the heaviest dumbbell available? :cool:
The Matt Z row has been born!

User avatar
Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Lapland, Finland

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Dub » Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 am

Usually one-arm dumbbell rows also have more points of support. Kroc is just supported by one hand if even that. It's still the same exercise, kroc rows are just high-rep forced dumbbell rows like Robbie said. I like Kroc's personally, it gets my biceps and lats quite the burn and it's alos great grip work. I find Kroc's easier to progress than normal DB rows, probably due to that sprinkle of cheating added on the final reps.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Crow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Difference between Kroc Row and One-Arm DB Row?

Post by Crow » Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 am

Matt Z wrote:45-degree angle + Neutral grip = Lats & Middle/Lower Traps
Parallel to floor + Neutral grip = Longer range-of-motion with more Rhomboid and Rear Delt involvement.

Using a pronated grip (elbow out) and pulling to the chest turns a DB Row into a Rear Delt Row. ... Lots of Rear Delt and Rhomboids, with less help of the lats.
Thanks!

Post Reply