articles about strength ratios?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Jeff D
Novice
Novice

articles about strength ratios?

Post by Jeff D » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 am

Does anyone know of any articles that discuss strength ratios and strength limitations, like if you can bench such amount you should be able to do such amount in another exercise? I came across this one http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459454 and found it to be an interesting read. Im actually looking forward to testing myself on the external rotations after reading it. Apparently you should be able to use a dumbell thats 9% of your close grip bench max for 8 strict reps. If you cant, it may be a significant reason your bench isnt going anywhere. The hockey player who was the subject of this article, found his close grip max go up 51 lbs without even doing the exercise for 12 weeks, just by focusing on achieving balance.

Jeff D
Novice
Novice

Post by Jeff D » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:27 am

Ouch...i failed miserably on the external rotator test, about 10 lbs and not to mention 2 reps short! On the bright side though i'll be curious to see if my bench strength goes up as i improve.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:33 am

No idea what my ratio will be but I will try this as soon as I can.

Thanks for the article, I reckon it could help solve a shoulder issue i've been having, mentioned here http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=933

To go with that, I also hit a plateu with my bench press over the last couple of months. I had planned to take the bench press out of my routine for about 2 months then tackle it again, however, I will take it out and improve on my Rotator Cuff strength (which i'm sure will be weak at the moment), then re introduce the bench press and post the results :-)

thanks

KP

Jeff D
Novice
Novice

Post by Jeff D » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:11 am

I have shoulder problems myself, but for whatever reason i never do any rotator stuff. But once i read it could hold your bench back...i'm on it!!

Curios to see how my left shoulder (the problem one) responds to this..

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am

I've heard overhead presses can strenthen the rotator cuff, as well as being good for strength and muscle building.