need help?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

handsome09
former lurker

need help?

Post by handsome09 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:06 pm

So, I'm a little confused after reading this blog entry, with the following information:

'Researchers (Melanson et al., 2013) looked into resistance exercise as a mode of exercise. They compared a calorie-matched bout of 70% VO2 max cycling with a circuit of weight training at 70% 1RM.

During the weight training, subjects utilised more carbohydrate than the cycling subjects, which we may expect to see. However, over the whole 24-hour period there was no difference in either carbohydrate/fat utilization between the 2 exercise groups or indeed overall energy expenditure.

So yes, you can manipulate the type of fuel utilized during an exercise bout, which is good to know when designing a training program. However if you fail to take into account and manipulate your 24-hour energy intake it won’t matter one bit.

The type of exercise in a single bout makes no difference to overall energy expenditure in a day. Next time you get told about a certain type of exercise “boosting” your metabolism for the rest of day, just nudge the person in the direction of this blog and just crack on with your chosen exercise.

Hopefully I’ve managed to show you that the type of fuel you burn during exercise doesn’t matter, because without paying any attention to your diet the following scenarios could develop

You could regularly burn fat as a fuel during exercise, yet eat more food than your body needs and put on body fat.
You could regularly burn carbohydrate during exercise, yet eat less food than your body needs and lose body fat.

The results of your fat loss are NOT confined to the exercise bout, but rather your whole 24-hour day, which just happens to usually include an exercise bout.'

I understand what he is getting at in terms of eating food, that wasn't really what I was getting at. But this article kind of goes against everything I understand! From what I understood, weight training proves to be much more effective in weight loss than cardio thanks to the huge increase in metabolism afterwards, yet this blog argues against that, with that particlar paper. It does also say:

'It is key to remember however that the benefits of weight training and the subsequent increase in muscle size, can lead to an increase in overall energy expenditure as you have more mass.'

Which kind of confirms the metabolism increase I mentioned, but I guess a bit more in the long term. But still has me confused. The paper is recent, from 2013. What I found on the exrx site under the 'weight loss' page:

'Intense exercise (eg. weight training, HIIT, plyometrics, sprints) can increase metabolic rate for hours after the vigorous workout.'

As well as under the page of HIIT vs ET the study looked at was from 1994 and concluded that for 'every calorie expended during HIIT, there was a nine fold loss of subcutaneous body fat, as compared to the ET group.'

I just want a couple things cleared up from my confusion!

So, the 1994 study was over a 20 week period, I can't find the duration of the 2013 study, so perhaps that was why this conclusion was different? Because the metabolism would have increased due to the increase in musculature?

Also, to be calorie matched in the 2013 study, weight training would have, I'm assuming, been a shorter bout of training as it burns more calories during exercise (not necessarily fat, calories in total) than the comparative cycling bout at 70% VO2 max? In effect, making it a more efficient workout in terms of time, is that a correct assumption?

That was what I could conclude! If someone could clear that up or whatnot?! That would be much appreciated!

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: need help?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 am

Increased Muscle Mass, Increased Metabolism

This is one of those statements that is vague. The question is, "How more does an increase in muscle mass increase your metabolism?"

The answer is that an increase in muscle mass only minutely increases your metabolism.

What most individuals are unaware of is that an increase in body fat also increase you metabolism, as well.

The net result of trading a pound of fat for a pound of muscle for increasing metabolism is extremely low.

Increasing muscle mass will assist. However, exercise is secondary to diet.

Now, let's look at the metabolic difference between body fat and muscle...

The Myth about Muscle and Your Metabolic Rate
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/cals.htm

"...The resting metabolic rate of skeletal muscle clocks in at just 6 calories per pound, with fat burning just 2 calories per pound."

The Net

The Net increase in caloric expenditure is 4 calories more per hour when fat is replaced with muscle.

( Muscle 6 kcal per hour - Fat 2 kcals per hour = 4 kcal per hour increase. 4 kcal per hour X 24 hours = 96 kcal more burned per day/672 kcal more burned per week/28893.6 kcal more per month).

On paper, that means you'd burn around .8 gram more body fat per month. However, what works out on paper never works in real life.

"Intense exercise (eg. weight training, HIIT, plyometrics, sprints) can increase metabolic rate for hours after the vigorous workout."

ANY type of High Intensity Training will increase your metabolism via "Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC".

That means High Intensity CARDIO Training as well as "High Intensity Interval Resistance Training, HIIRT".

HIIRT
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3551736/

The training protocol of HIIT Cardio applies to HIIRT Strength Training, preformed as...

Cluster Sets

Instead of Cardio Sprints, short repetition are performed interspersed with short rest periods.

Thus, HIIRT is a HIIT program preformed with weight or some type of resistance.

Summary

1) An increase in post workout metabolism is driven by "Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC."

2) EPOC amount to "Overcharging your Metabolic Card" and having to pay it back with interset.

3) High Intensity Cardio Interval Training and/or High Intensity Interval Resistance Training evokes EPOC.

The same application of HIIT CARDIO applies to High Intensity Interval Resistance Training (Cluster Sets); producing the same EPOC fat burning effect.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.