Bodyfat Loss over 50's

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

zoggy66
former lurker

Bodyfat Loss over 50's

Post by zoggy66 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:38 am

Hello,

trying to connect with other over 50 males (or females. The 3 site test tells me I am at about 16% bf. I am 52 years old). I am curious about actual fat loss. The average when all is done well is weight loss of about .5 of a kilo a week. Just to round up the number let us say 1 kilo for every 2 weeks.
Now let's say I have lost 1 kilo in 2 weeks, with a moderate calorie deficit, 3-4 times a week of cardio and weight training 5 days a week.

What would the realistic percentages be, how much is water, how much is glycogen and how much is actual body fat?
Have googled it, but can't find any info, so anyone on here have any idea?

I also found that to 16% for a 52 year old equals about 13% for a 25 year old male, which is reassuring for me. Not hung up on numbers but explains why I look how I do when I work so hard!

Bill Bailey
former lurker

Re: Bodyfat Loss over 50's

Post by Bill Bailey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Initial loss was probs water. Not sure TBH. What do you mean by 'explains why I look how I look when I work so hard'? Good luck!

Jonjac
n00b
n00b

Post by Jonjac » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm

I think as long as you are losing weight in an appropriate manner-aka 2-3 pounds loss per week in a 200-300 calorie/day deficit then that is what matters. Realistically, when you lose weight you are losing water, muscle, glycogen stores, etc as you have pointed out. The exact amount in the end, however, is irrelevant--as long as you are looking and feeling better you're on the right track.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Jonjac wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm
... 2-3 pounds loss per week in a 200-300 calorie/day deficit ...
Check your arithmetic. You're off by a factor of 5.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 am

The 3 site test tells me I am at about 16% bf. I am 52 years old).

Questionalb Body Fat Percentage

I doubt that you are 16% body fat.

That because all of the method of measuring body fat percentages are unreliable.

Specifically, what protocol did you use?
The average when all is done well is weight loss of about .5 of a kilo a week.
This falls into a reasonable amount of weight loss per week.
Now let's say I have lost 1 kilo in 2 weeks, with a moderate calorie deficit, 3-4 times a week of cardio and weight training 5 days a week.
Unrealistic

1) Weight loss of 1 - 2 kilos a week is unrealistic.

2) You are NOT going to low 1 - 2 kilos a week with a Moderate Calorie Deficit, 3 - 4 time a week of cardio and weight training 5 days a week
What would the realistic percentages be, how much is water, how much is glycogen and how much is actual body fat?
Well Written Diet and Exercise Program
With a well written diet and exercise program, a good general rule thumb is that 80% of your weight loss will be body fat with 20% of you weight loss being muscle mass; that with individual with primarily fairly low body fat percentages.

Obese individual are more likely to decrease body fat while increasing muscle mass.

Water Weight Loss

The amount of water weight loss is dependent on your carbohydrate consumption. High Carbohydrate Diets increase water retention.

Decreasing your Carbohydrate Intake will initially decrease your water weight.

Moderate Caloric Deficit

Research shows that a Moderate Caloric Deficit (around 20% reduction) ensure body fat loss while minimizing muscle loss. (Research Dr's John Ivy and Layne Norton).

The Two Week Rule of Calorie Rotation

Research has demonstrated that the body will adjust and adapt to a caloric deficit in approximately two weeks.

The research demonstrated that by decreasing calories for two weeks body fat was lost.

The research demonstrated then increasing your caloric intake for two weeks, increased your metabolic rate; increasing muscle mass with a minute increase in body fat.

After increasing your caloric intake for two weeks, then decrease your caloric intake. Doing so, maintains muscle while decreasing your body fat even lower; the minute increase plus more body fat is lost.

This method amount to "Taking one step back ward and two steps forward".

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.