Are squats, deadlifts, and overhead movements unsustainable exercises?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

deutschland
n00b
n00b

Are squats, deadlifts, and overhead movements unsustainable exercises?

Post by deutschland » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm 24, a novice/intermediate lifter. My goals are hypertrophy and strength gains associated with hypertrophy. I just finished going to PT to ensure I didn't have shoulder problems/muscle imbalances anymore for pushing movements, and to ensure I could perform bench, squats, and deadlifts properly to avoid the likelihood of getting injured. I also overthink things, so please bear with me.

Long story short, my physical therapist (who competed and placed in natural bodybuilding contests) told me that I should avoid doing deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, squats, and overhead presses. All of the hypertrophy programs I've seen involve a form of deadlift and squat. My PT says these are overrated exercises that will cause problems later in life, and I can do other exercises to mitigate future problems while still achieving progressive overload for hypertrophy/strength.

My therapist drew a free body diagram explaining that while leaning forward with weight, there are significant compressive forces going through the spinal discs. Lifting weight in these positions repeatedly will wear out these discs over the course of 20+ years, causing low back pain and other issues.

For OHP, my therapist basically said that moving weight over shoulder height is risky/dangerous (shoulder joint impingement), and told an anecdote about tearing a rotator cuff muscle and requiring surgery to reattach the fibers.

For squats, my therapist drew a free body diagram of the knee, and explained that the further one goes into a squat, the more compression force the knee experiences, and thus doing squats at/below parallel repeatedly will lead to knee problems. I asked about doing bodyweight full squats, and my therapist said that even this is not a safe position to be in.

Exercises I was given to replace deadlifts, ohp, and squat are hamstring curls on a machine, isolation shoulder exercises, and lunges.

Are deadlifts, squats, and OHP sustainable exercises (over the course of 20+ years)? This is the first encounter I've had with someone saying to avoid these exercises, even when healthy. I mean, basically everyone I've seen with size does these exercises. If there are studies on this, I would be interested.

Could one progressively overload their muscles using only "auxillary" exercises and get similar results to doing the main staple compound movements (in the same loading and rep ranges of 75-80% 1RM, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps)?

My PT basically said I could gain hypertrophy safely by keeping weight light, keep reps in the 12-15 range, and to avoid heavy compound lifts.

I hope this all made sense, I can be a bit of a scatter brain. :smile: Thanks in advance for reading and replying, I appreciate it.

Jonjac
n00b
n00b

Re: Are squats, deadlifts, and overhead movements unsustainable exercises?

Post by Jonjac » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I don't believe so at all--I've been doing them for almost a decade and have had my share of training injuries--but always due to me not knowing when to back off and spend more time stretching and recovering. As long as your form is truly correct--and it can be easy to have your form off just slightly and contributing to a whole host of asymmetries---you should be more than fine. Correct movement is corrective.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Are squats, deadlifts, and overhead movements unsustainable exercises?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 am

I'm 24, a novice/intermediate lifter. My goals are hypertrophy and strength gains associated with hypertrophy.
Hypertrophy

Hypertrophy will increase strength to some degree. However, Hypertrophy fall more into the category of Endurance Training, less in to Strength Training.
I just finished going to PT to ensure I didn't have shoulder problems/muscle imbalances anymore for pushing movements, and to ensure I could perform bench, squats, and deadlifts properly to avoid the likelihood of getting injured. I also overthink things, so please bear with me.
Overthinking

You are definitely overthinking this. Your trip to the PT make no sense, unless you have some issue.
...my physical therapist (who competed and placed in natural bodybuilding contests) told me that I should avoid doing deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, squats, and overhead presses. All of the hypertrophy programs I've seen involve a form of deadlift and squat. My PT says these are overrated exercises that will cause problems later in life, and I can do other exercises to mitigate future problems while still achieving progressive overload for hypertrophy/strength.
Your PT Is An Idiot

Since performing Squats, Pressing Movements and Deadlifts, as per your PT, that means there MUST be a list of the Bodybuilders, Strength Athletes, and Normal Individual who have performed them for DECADES there must be a list of these cripples and grave yards full of them.

With that said, please provide the name of those individual and the list of their maladies.
Could one progressively overload their muscles using only "auxillary" exercises and get similar results to doing the main staple compound movements (in the same loading and rep ranges of 75-80% 1RM, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps)?
Auxiliary Isolation Exercises\

1) Yes, you can obtain some increase in muscle mass and strength with Auxiliary Exercises; any form of progressive overload exercises.

2) NO, you will not achieve the same or similar results with Auxiliary Isolation Exercises; not even close.

Compound Exercises are know as "The Money Exercises"; that because they are more effective at increasing muscle mass and strength. Research CLEARLY has demonstrated Compound Exercises are superior.

Do you research home work and you will find out.

Your PT

Let me candy coat this. Your PT is a fv(k moron.

Get off your ass. Do your research homework and you see that.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.