Weight Training in high school

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

tostig
Apprentice
Apprentice

Weight Training in high school

Post by tostig » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 am

I was thinking the other day how helpful the internet has been in my learning how to do weight lifting exercises properly.  I was never introduced to these exercises in high school during the late 1970s.  In fact during my entire high school gym classes we only used the weight room once.

The last I know, my two sons had finished high school with no weight training in their gym classes.

Why can't high school gym classes teach high school kids the basics of barbell lifting?  Since kids aged 15 or 16 are all still very different in their sizes and development the training should focus on form.  First, body weight only with no equipment, then with empty bars and finally with light plates when they reach their final high school year.

I think in gym we all played baseball, basketball, football, soccer, gymnastics, swimming, hockey, long distance running, track & field and even greco roman wrestling and curling and archery.  Why can't the kids be introduced to weight training too?

What do you think?

stuward

Re: Weight Training in high school

Post by stuward » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:13 am

I was never in a weight gym until university. I introduced my children to weights before they saw it in school. My son was in track and the weights made a huge difference to him and I know he used the school weight room on his own. I expect he was the exception. I doubt that weights will be come that mainstream that they are routine in school. They will be to support sports teams only.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Weight Training in high school

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 am

Why can't high school gym classes teach high school kids the basics of barbell lifting? Since kids aged 15 or 16 are all still very different in their sizes and development the training should focus on form.
High School Coaches

They know something about the sport they coach.

However, they are clueless when it comes to Strength Training. My job require that I work with High School Coaches. I have a degree in Exercise Science and a Nationally Certified Strength Coach.

Overall, they have virtually no knowledge in how to write or execute an effective training program.

Secondly, you can talk to reason with most of them; they believe they are omniscient.

Third, HIgh School Coaches are clueless to form/technique.

Take Home Message

The majority of High School Coaches are clueless when it come to Strength and Conditioning High School kids.

Would you want an idiot training your son is something they know relative little about?

High School need to hire Strength Coaches that specifically train and education kids.

However, very few school have the money to hire a Qualified Strength Coach.

I suspect that the best coaching you kids will get will be from you, at this point.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.