HIIT Covered In the NY Times

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

huuanh2811
former lurker

HIIT Covered In the NY Times

Post by huuanh2811 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:08 pm

Too bad I didn't know about HIIT when I was jogging 30+ miles a week (and beating the sh-t out of my lower back) to improve my "health"
Gretchen Reynolds wrote:
Instead of asking how much exercise we need, some scientists are looking into how little we can do and still get maximal health and fitness benefits.

The answer appears to be a lot less than most of us think — provided we’re willing to put in some effort. That’s the secret behind high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, an approach to training that compresses all of your exercise into only a few minutes — and the subject of our first Phys Ed video, “The 20-Minute Workout,” part of a new series that will be appearing regularly on Well.

I introduce you to the work of scientists at McMaster University in Ontario who have been at the forefront of HIIT research, studying what the training can do for us and how we can do it in a manageable, practical way. I’ve written about HIIT before: “How 1-Minute Intervals Can Improve Our Health” and “Can You Get Fit in Six Minutes a Week?” Now you can go behind the scenes to see the scientists at work.
HIIT isn't new to veteran members of this board, but this is one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in the popular press.

They produced a short video, which can be seen at this link

skiffrace
former lurker

Re: HIIT Covered In the NY Times

Post by skiffrace » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:05 pm

Once upon a time this so called "HIIT" was known and practiced as good old Interval Training.
By definition, all interval training should be high intensity in order to be effective, so the addition of the "HI" to the name is a marketing hack to sell decades-old product with a new name.
The reasons why interval training is often more effective than aerobic steady-state training are not quite clear and sufficiently researched, explanation that interval training "stresses body more and therefore produces more adaptation" is not good enough IMHO.
They may also indicate why strength training (which is almost always a kind of interval training) appears to be as, if not more effective to overall physical health and fitness than aerobic steady-state training.
So, strength-train early and often and on your training runs/bike rides, add as many hills to your route as possible - they are the interval intensifiers injected into the workout in a natural way.

PS “Can You Get Fit in Six Minutes a Week?”
It depends. If you start from 0, then yes, even this bit of work will make you somewhat fit[ter].
However, if you are already reasonably fit, the answer is no, you need more than that, though I agree that not as much as we used to think, probably 2-4 30-40' high quality sessions per week will do the trick for most people.