View and post visitor submitted articles

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

jas
Novice
Novice

Depression, Overweight Fit Pro- My Bio

Post by jas » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:28 am

Hello ExRX Family,

I was featured in Boston Voyager Magazine June 2019! It’s personal but freeing.

“As an adolescent until today, I struggle with depression and anxiety. The difference is now I have life experiences that remind me of the importance of self-care. “

I also discuss my proudest moments and next big plans.

Thank you for all of your support and never give up hope!

Here’s the interview.

Today we’d like to introduce you to Julio Salado.

Julio, can you briefly walk us through your story – how you started and how you got to where you are today.

Despite not being athletically gifted, I have always enjoyed physical activities. As an adolescent, I was overweight and this fueled my insecurities. I always wanted to be accepted so I would work harder than the average person to make the team. I would watch and learn from those who excelled in the sport and do my best to emulate them. At a very early age, I was not afraid to do the work needed to get better and achieve my goals.

The benefits I receive from being active were both physical and mental.

Fast forward to 2006. While working out in the gym, a trainer asked if I was a trainer because of my interactions with other members and my exercise selection. I told him that I was just a member. He then suggested I look into becoming a personal trainer.

At the time, I was gainfully employed in a 9-5 job. After a few months of him checking on my interest in learning more about the fitness industry, he handed me an AFAA Personal Training Exam Book. For those who do not know, AFAA is one of the first PT certifications. After reading a few chapters, I realized I had a very deep interest in learning about exercise science. I sensed that by learning more about human movement, I can become more efficient in training and gain better results.

I then decided to study and take the exam. Search and found a part-time pt job where I trained before and after my regular 9-5 job.

My first studio manager was a great mentor for both professional and business development. He made a tremendous impact early in my career.

As I was studying for the pt exam, I started to develop my brand, network with local business and used social media to promote my services with articles and videos.

Throughout the years, I have offered to volunteer my services. It’s a way of paying it forward. I especially try to reach to demographics in our community who are more at risk for obesity, heart disease, and other preventable diseases. I do this by giving free workshops in libraries and neighborhood centers.

It’s worth noting, contributing to our community is very important to me, too. For a few years, I sponsored an annual 52-mile bike trek from Boston to Hopkinton and back! It was held before the Boston Marathon. We had to stop this event due to security concerns.

The internet has also helped me reached a greater audience. It’s an excellent platform for providing health and fitness tips. It has also helped me network with other professionals.

The last piece of my success is that I’m a grassroots entrepreneur.

I still connect with local business, non-profits, and new startup as a resource for my specialties in fitness.

As a personal trainer, I really felt like I found purpose in my life. I’ve then made it a personal mission to provide our community with health and fitness information that will help them make better and healthier decisions.

We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc. – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?

As an adolescent until today, I struggle with depression and anxiety. The difference is now I have life experiences that remind me of the importance of self-care. The consequences of not paying attention to the signs of being overworked or stressed were self-doubt, insecurities, and unfounded fears. There were times I was going to leave the industry. I was able to overcome these moments by surrounding myself with a support network and accepting my mental health challenges. I used to feel guilt and shame for my mental health illness however now I accept and learn how to live with it.

Please tell us more about your work, what you are currently focused on and most proud of.

I am a native of Boston, MA (Fields Corner/Dorchester), the founder of Fitnessfoundry.net, a leading online resource for health and wellness. For over a decade, I have guided countless individuals from all levels of fitness to achieve their body sculpting and personal training goals. My unique blend of western exercise science and holistic arts has been featured in numerous TV shows, in print, and online. I am also is an educator and continuing education provider.

Proudest moment is being voted 2017 Boston’s Best Personal Trainer by Boston A-List.

What sets me apart is my ability to take anyone’s short and long term fitness goals and design a program around their lifestyle. No gimmicks or fads included. Together we learn how to train SMARTER!

So, what’s next? Any big plans?

I am currently working on my third book! Currently, both of my books “How to Become an A-List Personal Trainer. Fundamentals for Optimal Service-Branding-Success”. and “BREAK OUT of Breaking Even! Three Step Method for PROVEN Long-Term Weight loss are continuing education credits workshops. These workshop are open to the public, too.

I’m investing more time into speaking engagements.

Next month, I will be providing a FREE long-term weight loss workshop at the YWCA of Cambridge, MA.

One of my biggest goals was to offer a long-term weight loss support group for everyone. It’s finally here and it starts this July.

I’m scheduled to be on some local and national media shows, podcast and radio.

I’m also working on creating a health and fitness event.

Lastly, I’ll continue to contribute to our community. #PayItForward

Here’s the link to the article:
https://www.fitnessfoundry.net/my-inter ... -personal/

Garrygb
n00b
n00b

Re: Depression, Overweight Fit Pro- My Bio

Post by Garrygb » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:02 am

Very useful. Thanx.