Advice please on 1-set

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robbyell
former lurker

Advice please on 1-set

Post by robbyell » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi all
Just getting back into a bit of fitness after a couple of years of not doing very well. For my strength stuff I’m using the Exrx guidelines (https://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Guidelines) and therefore doing a single set of 8-12 reps of my max-before-volitional-fatigue with a half-weight warm up set.

I’m getting stronger (able to lift more weight most times I go) but I’m getting none of the DOMS / lactic I get when I throw pretty light weights around in a many-rep Pump class, and which I have in the past associated with a “good workout” and muscle (fibre) break down. Seems miraculous to me, but am I doing something wrong?

Rob

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Advice please on 1-set

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:42 am

Just getting back into a bit of fitness after a couple of years of not doing very well. For my strength stuff I’m using the Exrx guidelines (https://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Guidelines) and therefore doing a single set of 8-12 reps of my max-before-volitional-fatigue with a half-weight warm up set.

I’m getting stronger (able to lift more weight most times I go) but I’m getting none of the DOMS / lactic I get when I throw pretty light weights around in a many-rep Pump class, and which I have in the past associated with a “good workout” and muscle (fibre) break down. Seems miraculous to me, but am I doing something wrong?

Rob
One Exercise Set

This has a place on the training table.

However, only one set per exercise will only take you so far when it come to increasing strength and muscle mass.

At some point, if you want to gain more strength an muscle mass, Multiple Training Set are required.

DOMS/Delayed Onset of Soreness

Some DOMS occurs to some degree with a new movement/exercise. The amount of DOMS is directly proportionate to how traumatic the exercise was. Exercise that are eased into, produce little DOMS.

Exercise in which use a load that is too much, produce dramatic soreness.

"Repeated Bout Effect"

Once exposed to an exercise, the Repeated Bout Effect come into play.

That means the body becomes acclimated to the movement. Any soreness that was experienced in the first workout is less in the second, third, etc.

In other word, soreness goes away, doesn't return. The body adapts; know as "The General Adaptation Syndrome.

Flu Shot Example

If you are given a few shot, you may may not feel good,initially. However, you body adapts. You become resistant to the strain of flu that you were exposed to.

Not A Miracle

It not a miracle. It is the body's survival mechanism of adaptation.

Kenny Croxdale

robbyell
former lurker

Re: Advice please on 1-set

Post by robbyell » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:54 am

Thanks Kenny!