New Workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:04 am

I've never really cared for sidebends much, never really felt they worked the obliques all that much. I have found however, that 1 arm DB lifting from the floor to overhea does a great ob of putting you off center, and will get the obliques quite nicely, as doe 1 arm overhead squatting. Aso, an old lift I learned years ago from the old York courses is to hold a DB overhead in one arm and with the other arm down, lean forward and to the side and place your hand on the foot on the ide of you which is holding the weight up. I think the KB types call this a wind mill. Hoffman just called it "Toe touching while holding a DB overhead".
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Yeah, I know those - the first time I heard of doing "kettlebell windmills" I winced; I imagined swinging a 72# lump of metal around in big circles. Then i saw a video and said "Oh, right, like those old-time barbell and dumbbell lifts."

I'm hoping my new routine plus all the assorted crossfit stuff will be enough to maintain my obliques. The side bends helped a lot but maybe I don't need them anymore. One arm overhead squats...woof, I'm still trying to learn the two handed ones. Another thing for the "to do" list.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:57 pm

I have never isolated obliques even 1 single time in my entire life. They are still quit large anyway. My taper stops around the bottom of my lats. I can suck them in and push them out, kind of like a stomach vacuum, but on the side. Any ab work is going to hit the obliques too.

I also kind of question the need to isolate abs at all anymore once a person can do a solid free weight leg routine. All those core muscles seem to get used quite a lot on most of the exercises I do.

pdellorto

Update (long)

Post by pdellorto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:06 pm

I said a while back I'd update this after a couple months. Well, I started lifting with this routine on 6/25 and here it is 9/4, so I wanted to post my progress. It isn't pretty, because I've re-started some lifts I let go when I concentrated on bodyweight exercises and my MMA training. But I'm making progress.

Program goals:
Deadlift 1.5xbw for 1 rep
Bench Press 1xbw for 1 rep
Shoulder Press 0.75xbw for 1 rep
L-pullup static hold 60 seconds.
Bodyweight is 85 kg currently, fighting weight is 83kg.

Here we go:

Deadlifts - Start 50kg. Now 110kg (PR for conventional deadlifts)
Bench Press - Start 50kg. Now 62.5kg (almost a PR).
Standing Press - Start 32.5kg. Now 42.5kg.
Dumbbell Rows - Start 25kg. Now 36.75kg (narrowly a PR).
Chinup holds - Start 30 seconds. Now 52 seconds. Harder on the abs than the grip.
External Rotation - Start 10/5kg. Now 8/10kg.

By PR I mean a PR for 5 reps.

Deadlifts - got past the easy gains, I'm stalling a bit now, but my form is still good so I'm happy. Still 3 minutes rest between sets but I think it'll go to 4 minutes soon. But the predicted 1RM for doing 5x110kg isn't far from my goal of 127.5kg for 1 rep, so I think that goal might be easy to achieve. Have to set it to 1.5xbw for 3x5 after I reach that.

Bench Press - bleh. Can't seem to close in on my long-time goal of bodyweight reps. Bad right shoulder (impingement, dislocation, mild muscle tear) means my right side struggles to keep up the pressing that my left can do. Stalled almost immediately and had to go to 4 minutes rest, micro-loading to increase the weight (this week I'm shooting for 63kg). Not sure what's holding me back, maybe it's my extremely small chest muscles and long arms (I'm 6'4" / 193 cm). I'm eating a lot more on the idea that if I gain weight while I do this, I'll inevitably gain some chest muscle. It's hard because I'm naturally thin, and because for competitive reasons either I need to stay at 83kg, or go to 91kg - somewhere between puts me out of my usual MMA weight class and into a heavier one without the muscularity to justify banging with the bigger guys.

Standing Press - I think my right shoulder hurts me here, too. I can feel the weight go up easier on my left side, and if I'm not careful I can lock out one side without locking out the other. 42.5kg is not a PR but it's close (I hurt that shoulder long before I got serious about weights). I'm going up slowly on this one.

Chinup Holds - man, hard on the abs. My grip doesn't give out, my abs do, which is sort-of the point anyway.

The various crossfit WODs have helped, too, I think. Got me doing some harder work on the other days of the week, and even with all the food I'm eating and the weight I'm gaining, I can see the outline of my abs and I'm pretty lean all over except a bit around the middle. The WODs have helped me keep up the endurance I gained from all my MMA training and my 200-bodyweight-squat routine, too. I set a new PR for a 1-rep weighted chin at 27.5kg the other day, too, so I think all the pullups I'm doing plus the rows kept up my strength too. The weight workout has improved my leg strength and my lower back strength.

Anyway, that's a snapshot of where I am and where I was. I generally don't like posting this kind of stuff, but I said I would and I figured after all the help I got I should show where it's gotten me. I.e., not far, but a nice improvement anyway.

Peter