Kickboxing Dad!

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

ironmaiden708

Kickboxing Dad!

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:26 am

My dad runs what you would call a kickboxing class. There is a open house thing that will being going on very soon and I am curious what yiou would recommend in terms of exercises for these people. The people that would typically be joining this will be middle aged/overweight/out of shape/basically average joes. With that in mind what kind of plyo or any kind of exercises would you recommend that won't scare these people and never come back? Or even any great places I can find this info. My dad is gonna look at the P90X program for ideas so I want to create my own endeavor to try and help.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 am

OK, this is a type of martial arts, kinda sorta? I would recommend a way scaled down version of crossfit; i.e running mixed w/ bodyweight, mixed w/ some heavier weights. BrandXMartial arts would have some good ideas for this. They run a WOD every day based on the crossfit template, plus they cater to the martial arts community. What sets these people apart is that the head honcho when he puts the WOD out, gives various scaled down versions to acclimate those that aren't in the greatest of shape. We're talking puppies and buttercups (his choice of names in the scaled versions). See
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com
Go to the Crossfit WOD forum, and you'll see daily WODs w/ scaled versions. Should give you some good ideas.
Tim
Last edited by TimD on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 am

I don't know for sure what they should do training wise but any information about your dieting ideas ironmaiden should help those older people. I talked to a lady the other day who lost thirty lbs cause she stopped drinking beer and increased excercise. I'm sure not only your dad would love it but his clients would appreciate an in depth diet/analysis from you even though your not a dr lol.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 am

This class is more a Taebo kind of thing. Stand in place throw punches, kicks, drill such as that. Bag drills, things on the line of burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, those sort of drill. There is no access to weights. I will check that forum out thanks Tim.
I don't know for sure what they should do training wise but any information about your dieting ideas ironmaiden should help those older people. I talked to a lady the other day who lost thirty lbs cause she stopped drinking beer and increased excercise. I'm sure not only your dad would love it but his clients would appreciate an in depth diet/analysis from you even though your not a dr lol.
I appreciate the compliment, but we are in this sad world where everybody thinks their right and your wrong, esspecially when I'm only 17. The only way people would take me seriously if I was called Dr. Aaron Parnell (accual name btw) or if age bias didn't exist.

amivan

Re: Kickboxing Dad!

Post by amivan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:My dad runs what you would call a kickboxing class. There is a open house thing that will being going on very soon and I am curious what yiou would recommend in terms of exercises for these people. The people that would typically be joining this will be middle aged/overweight/out of shape/basically average joes. With that in mind what kind of plyo or any kind of exercises would you recommend that won't scare these people and never come back? Or even any great places I can find this info. My dad is gonna look at the P90X program for ideas so I want to create my own endeavor to try and help.
A couple questions before I answer; how often is this class held, are you asking for suggestions for exercises IN class or on their own outside of it, is there any physical contact in the class, what surface is class done on?

And two suggestions; take a look at this link full of body-weight exercises http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/ ... n/0/page/0

and take a look at this to get an idea of the different needs of middle-aged persons:
http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Sec ... ral_Public

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 pm

It is held I believe to be once a week for roughly an hour. And I'm asking for exercises inside the class. The surface would either be a thin burbur carpet. Or a very thin commercial carpet.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:19 pm

aaron if your a really fit inshape kid like im sure you are some of them will listen if one listens and sees results that builds clientele. I'm sure they would all come to you for advice. Unless they find out about this site and use this for their own questions lol

amivan

Post by amivan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:It is held I believe to be once a week for roughly an hour. And I'm asking for exercises inside the class. The surface would either be a thin burbur carpet. Or a very thin commercial carpet.
\

Okay, then I'd say that the goal should be that you keep their heart rates elevated, in their cases since they are all likely to be 40-60 so I'd say keep their HR at about 130 bpm (that's ~21 beats in a 10 second count). I'm not going to suggest specific exercises because I'm not sure what the class is aimed around but here's a general outline of how the class should go.

0:00-8:00 Stretching as a group. Static/dynamic or PNF (google or look at the stretching post to see what it is)
8:00-15:00 Low intensity exercises.
15:00-25:00 Medium intensity exercises.
25:00-30:00 High intensity exercises.
30:00-34:00 Break for water (not too much), stretching, recovery.
34:00-49:00 Medium intensity.
49:00-55:00 High intensity.
55:00-60:00 Light intensity/stretching.

Good exercises would be things like step-ups, lunges, pushups, squats, wall sits, mountain climbers, alternate toe-touches, squat thrusts, planks, divebombers, isometrics(core[abs,LB]), any kind of pull exercise you can conjure. Or throw in a billy blanks video and do that ;)

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:06 pm

The thing is this, there are things I can do myself, but these people would die doing it. I can have us go and do 1 arm pushups but who will be able to do it? I'm sure some have a hard time doing it on their knees. Also I am not familiar with aerobic exercises. I am extremely anaerobic to the point where if i do one width (50 feet approx.) accross a pool I am completely exhausted. All I am familiar with is weight lifting and that is something that this class will not have access to or any equiptment for that matter. All these people have is each other and the wall and floors around them.

Amivan those are good suggestions. I will definitely keep those in mind. Basically what me and my dad are looking for is a balance. Lets say you do crunches, what could you do to counter that would balance out the body to prevent any injury? The goal is to get a well rounded cardio sort of class. I guess you can say a full body workout in a cardio class.
throw in a billy blanks video
Right...lets pay $100 for a 3 month membership to watch a video you can get for free at a library. haha I'll bring that up w/ him tonight.

TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, now that I know it's one of those TaeBo things, just do something like that. The suggestions of a tape isn't all that bad. I've seen the Firm tapes and the various other kicking,punching aerobic things in Costco and Sams for a decent price. When the hub bub dies down, they go to those type of outlet stores.
Tim

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 pm

Well, that covers all of what I need, I'll give him amivans sort of setup with those exercises he suggested and tell my dad to find taebo and other tapes to pull out ideas and adjust the intensity to peoples needs.

This reminds me I was watching mtv or something like that while lifting. This commercial comes up and Billy Blanks son has his own program, for his program you sing songs while you do cardio/exercise and the pace of the exercise goes with the song. Ridiculous and funny at the same time. Sadly someone bought that too.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:28 pm

funny you say that ironmaiden. I was in the army and we used to sing in cadence. It tought you how to breath while running. Theres reasons for everything lol.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:06 pm

You just hold the class as you normally would and just have people do the best they can. Then give them some default exercise they can do when everyone else is doing something they can't. That's how my girlfriends kickboxing class works.