Working out and why? And bios

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Shane

6' 170lbs (up from 158 as of Jan this year)
Medium build, tending toward the lean side ~7% bodyfat maybe
lift for strength and power
current lift maxes
Bench 2x185
Front full squat 5x125
DL 1x305
OL clean 1x155
OL Snatch 1x95
Pullups (hammer grip) 4xbodyweight+25
Pendlay Rows [email protected]

I am doing shoulder physical therapy with a surgeon eval. at the end of this week, so for now the overhead lifting motions are on hiatus...

I really enjoy olympic lifts and am still working out the coordination and flexibility for them. They hinge on me getting a medical goahead to really get into them. I would consider a club level of competition later on. I'm not so much into bodybuilding or powerlifting, the run fast jump high style of lifting is more important.

I have a general disdain for most of the college guys that I see walking around my town with the huge beach muscles and neglected backs, legs, etc... It never made sense to me to skip out on whole parts of your body like that. I'm also really picky on weightlifting form, and it pains me to go to PSU's campus gyms and see how badly most people lift weights.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue May 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Okay, I'll play:

6'2" 290lbs
endo/meso - think of an in shape offensive or defensive lineman
lifts for: I hate to say this but probably for arrogance and insecurity. I want to be the biggest and strongest wherever I go.
1RM
bench: Been a while but around 385 raw maybe close to 400.
squat: 5X5 at 425 raw with belt
deadlift: Bad form causes pain so I haven't done in a while. Need some coaching.
curls: Irrelevent to just about everything
overhead press: 5X5 225
If I can get down to around 260 I'll be close to 13% body fat. I'm heavy now for no other excuse other than I've let my diet go to hell. I've cleaned it back up and am trying to lose or maintain my weight until I reach some of my strength goals. I don't have the genetics to be a body builder.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 am

This is a great thread and I think everyone should put their info in here.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 22, 2008 11:04 am

OK, I,;ll play
Tim
58 years young, 5 ft 8, a heavy (now) 185, usually run between 165-175
My focus now is on strength maintenance and conditioning in general.

Lifts
Most of these haven;t been maxed out in years, so I'll just give what's shown up recently.
Squats- I have very bad osteoarthritus in my right hip, so U stop at around 200-210
Deads=don't do them anymore, just do clean and snatch pulls and RDL's these days
Have done RDL w/285 X 4 a week or so ago
Bench- haven't flat benched in over 2 years with anyhing other than 60 lb DB's, done semi supinated. Hit a 60 degree Incline Bench with a clean - shoulder width - grip @ 235 X 3
-Dips and chins ? I regularly do sets of 10 with both daily.
Power snatched 135 last week just to see where I stood.
MP- 3X185, then upped it to 205 and got 4 pushpresses.
The rest I haven't a clue. I regularly do moderate weight complexes, supersets, bodyweight circuits, etc.

My training is in the morning, based on circuits, complexes 5 or 6 days a week, to combine strength, strength endurance, strength maint, and is fast paced to get a HIIT style cardio effect. 2 or 3 days a week I pick some moves on go heavy.
Last week it was day 1 3 PC + 3 PP + 5 Fr Sq
day 2 was RDL and Inclne clean grio BP both done 5 X 5

I can't even remember when I started out. As a kid , back in the 50's, it was common place for all the neighborhood kids to round up, do some tumbling on the front lawns, go down to the playground, pla some type of ball and play on the monkey bars, and have contests to see who could skin the cat on the bars, do the most pullups, pushups, etc. We all euter walked or rode bikes anywhere we went. Most families back then had only one car, and we didn't want to get jack slapped by asking Mom or Dad to take us somewhere.
When I was 12, we got ahold of one of those old charles atlas courses, and started doing some of that. Dips between chairs,, isometric holds, etc. Around that time my Dad got one of those old Sears cast Iron BB sets, with an old course based on Calvert's Milo.and we all met at my garage and playe around with that. By High shool, we all did sports and got into it in a more structured manner. Coach was into OL, and had us do stuff baed on the old York principles, mixing basic compoind exercises with O lifts and their variations. By the time I graduated HS and went to college, PL was just recently recognized as being an official sanctioned sport, and gave that a go as well. Been dabbling in OL, PL, and gen fitness ever since. had to get fairly innovative. In my army days, did a lot of sandbag tossing, etc. In the Navy, did a lot of stuff on the rails. Got more concerned with ppriorities of conditioning foremost after I turned 50, and the arthritis started getting bad, focusing mostly on the upper back/ shoulder girdle and posterior chain.
That's it.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Tim,
I'm trying my hardest not to respond to your post.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Well, you know, that old Jalopy analogy. Just trying to keep her up and kickin" these days.
Tim

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Same here hoosegow I did reply and then changed my mind and deleted it....lol the threads more for knowing people than commenting on what you learn from what they say. So I didn't .

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Go ahead John. If it tees me off, the worst that could happen is I delete it and ban you/
Tim

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Tim what I was going to say was that I wish I grew up during that time. I have heard a lot of awesome stories and would have liked to experience some of them. Things sounded more exciting and different. If you want to delete it or ban me for that go ahead. LOL. Tim I told you I'm not a negative person and I respect everyone lol. I have no idea what hoosegow wanted to type but mine was purely respectful thats all.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm just playing you two. Hoosegow knows that. we've discussed it a lot. Yep, it was a different world back then. I grew up in now whats called the Silicone Valley (Cupertino to be specific) but back then in the 50's it was cattle, grapes and orchards. Didn't start building up until the early 60's. No cell phones, very little TV, even if the folks let you watch it. Most activities were done outside w/ friends.Summer meant working at least half the time for neighboring ranchers, etc. It was fun, and maybe not better or wrse, just different than today.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 22, 2008 4:59 pm

They were good times in many ways. More recent years have their advantages, too. I'm just 3 years younger than Tim. We only had one car (when I was a kid), but there weren't as many places to go. Raising my kids we were always taking them to sports, school events, music lessons, etc., etc. It was hectic, and we didn't have time for some stuff that would have been good too, but the sports programs and music lessons and school stuff were great for them. My kids spent a lot of time on the computers--again thats bad and good. My oldest isn't a great athlete, but he can build you a computer from scratch, and configure a big complex network in his sleep.

Although I grew up at the same time as you, Tim, my memories of it were a bit different. Of course Montana and California are a little different! I'll post on this thread sometime when I have hours and hours to type and bore you all to death!

Andy

FaustinoJacobson
former lurker

Re:

Post by FaustinoJacobson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:41 am

MrWonderful wrote:
Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 pm
hireessaywriter:
I've been lifting since high school but have frequently taken breaks due to various circumstance. Being active and maintaining a certain quality of life is something I want to start now rather than later. Lifting and exercise in general is like meditation for me, concentrating on simple motions clears my head of the mess it is usually filled with.
Sport is life! I realized that after I damaged health studying late nights doing homework. I have had spine problems and I took up swimming lessons, never could swim before. That was the time when I learned how to swim and when I thought about my health.