Pain in trap while running

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

drummaniac
Rookie
Rookie

Pain in trap while running

Post by drummaniac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Ok so my girlfriend is starting to run on her treadmill a couple of times a week. Shes starting slow with a brisk walk just as a warm up since shes doing it in the morning then joggingg. Shes not pushing herself hard yet because shes new to the whole distance running thing and doesn't want to hurt herself right away. shes in really good shape, shes not fat or anything and has a really good diet she just wants to be healthier. ok now with that background information the problem...

Shes told me that while running she gets this sharp pain in her trapezius like someone is sticking a knife in her and twisting it. It happens after a little while of running but not immediately. Also if when it happens she stops then it goes away but if she stops then starts again its still there. So what could this be?

She has had back problems. Nothing like lifted something heavy hurt her back. Just her traps are always very tight and have knots in them all the time. She does have very good posture too so thats not the problem. If there's anyway to maybe fix this too i would love to know.

Now i know without seeing her and everything you can't really tell online but if anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them. thanks.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pain in trap while running

Post by lightningsix » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:04 pm

That's really strange. In no way am I an expert but the typical rule is when an excercise causes you pain to always check with a doctor. Will the doctor always be able to help, of course not but you want to rule out any possibilities.

If it were me, I would just take it easy. Maybe use the bike machine or power walk and remember to take advil for inflammation.

A doctor would also be able to tell if it's the rotator cuff and not the trapezius..

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Stretching pre and post run and breathing properly, thats all I can think of.

drummaniac
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drummaniac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Hmm rotator cuff i hadn't thought of that. Also i've told her to just stretch it out but because of all her previous problems with her traps it doesn't really seem to help. and shes breathing in for two steps out for two steps which is what i've heard is the correct way because i asked her about that when she told me about this happening.

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CoreAlex » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:00 am

I had that problem 2 years ago when i started running intensely(age 13) it was painful but the reason why that happens is because your body isnt used to keeping arm positions like that when running so during the first 1 to 2 months it will hurt. Dont do sprinting since that will realy tear the trap. Only sprint after your body has gotten used to regular jogging and running but dont worry youl be fine its nothing bad in fact its a good thing since ur getting ur body used to it, its like lifting ur more sore when u start then u are 4 weeks later doing more intense workouts and wondering why u arent as sore as when u started

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 pm

I am going to guess she has large breasts. A tight athletic bra will help some. Some of it will just be waiting for the traps to strengthen. Rowing exercises will help build the traps. If she can learn to do cleans that will work the traps in a way most similar to how they are being strained.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I've had the same problem 2 years ago when I first started running, the pain was just caused by tight upper traps, just let her stretch them out thoroughly before she goes running. Doing this has stopped the pain.

A good upper trap stretch: go sit on hands and knees and 'push' your hands as far away from yourself as possible. It could feel like you've got a cable running across your upper back.