Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Tuco
Rookie
Rookie

The Turkish-Get-Up Only Workout

Post by Tuco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am

Hi folks.

Now that I've got my diet in lock-step, I have been thinking about setting a performance goal for myself for the end of the year of doing 200 consecutive back-to-back TGU's with a 16kg KB (that's 100/side).

Here was what I was planning on doing for a program. Looking for advice(s). I was figuring on an XABXABX setup. I think I am going to work in some conditioning since I figure 200 TGU's is about 1 3/4 hours of nonstop work when done slowly and in complete control.

Workout A:
Power Clean into Front Squat (5x3, heavy as can be, increment linearly as long as possible)

Workout B:
Turkish Getup (start @ 10/side, add one TGU per side per workout until stall)
Chins

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: The Turkish-Get-Up Only Workout

Post by robertscott » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am

looks like hotsecks to me. Reeks of Dan John.

I'd add some kind of press though. Barbell inclines in workout A

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm

seems boring for a whole yr
TGUs are pretty awesome though

realistically, would you stick with that?

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 pm

That's very close to Dan John, as Robert said. I think he uses KB Swings with those get-ups as well. That's one bloody crazy goal to reach. Is there a reason for this weirdness? You can get better on TGU's even if you do other stuff as well. Is there a reason for such limited workouts? It will work, but this seems like it's for a person that has NO time to workout
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Tuco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tuco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Dub wrote:That's very close to Dan John, as Robert said. I think he uses KB Swings with those get-ups as well. That's one bloody crazy goal to reach. Is there a reason for this weirdness? You can get better on TGU's even if you do other stuff as well. Is there a reason for such limited workouts? It will work, but this seems like it's for a person that has NO time to workout
I wanted to choose exercises that will develop areas of my physical well being that I have neglected over the last couple years - specifically, general athleticism, explosive power, flexibility, and mind/body connection. I also wanted exercises that address my anatomical weak spots; thoracic mobility, cardiovascular capacity, and shoulder health.

Also, as you read again and again, form follows function. I am just a little bit curious what an incarnation of me that could do 200 consecutive TGU's would look like. I'm hoping to be a bit more "bulletproof" and to undo some of the damage that my long-time sedentary lifestyle has caused.

I can't image that a me that can do 200 TGUs would be anything other than significantly more awesome that the me that is right now. And I don't mind being labeled bloody crazy, either...it takes a little bloody-mindedness to accomplish great things.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I used TGUs are a rehab for my shoulder and as a core stability exercise. I've never tried high volume work. I don't see the value in it. Once I started going over 70# it really started to work my shoulder stability and core strength. I got up to 95 on one side, 100 on the other. To put it in perspective, that about equal to my two hand military press. I really think that unless you explore your strength limit, you are not getting the full value out of the TGU.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD