program

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

program

Post by mohamed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Im just arabian gay hope to be personal trainer and hope make good shape that must every y personal trainer have but he problem i can't design my own program
Can any one help me and design one to me and i will give him all data he need
At the end i know i must not post this thread but im arabian i say it before and many times i can't understand topics thus i can't desgin it for myself
Really i need it :frown:

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: program

Post by Ironman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am

Do full body routine 3 times per week, with at least 1 day off in between, like Monday Wednesday Friday, or Tuesday Thursday Saturday for example.

1. chest press (either barbell or dumbbell)
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

2. row (dumbbell, barbell, or T-bar)
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

3. incline chest press (either barbell or dumbbell)
1 set

4. chin ups, or pulldowns
1 set

5. squat or leg press
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

6. Romanian deadlift, or leg curl
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

7. standing calf raise, or calf press
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

8. shrugs (barbell or dumbbell)
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

9. dumbbell lateral raise
1 warm up set, and then 1 work set

10. curls (use the curved bar or dumbbells)
1 set

11. triceps extensions (dumbbell or barbell) be careful, it's easy to hit your head if you lose control
1 set

12. hammer curls, or reverse grip curl with curved bar
1 set

You can do some ab work if you want, planks, rollouts, or something like that. Keep the volume low.

Do 8 to 12 reps as heavy as you can on your work set. Do this routine for 6 months. You'll just keep getting stronger and stronger since you are just starting out. Your results will slow down the last couple months. After doing this for the 6 months, I would recommend doing the "Starting Strength" program. That program has a more complex progression and you can stay on it for a long time. Then if bodybuilding is your goal, we can set you up with different upper/lower splits. For now stick to the basic routine, and enjoy the beginner gains.

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Are this routine for all levels and for all goals?
The second thing why must keep the volume very low like this (1 set for evey exercise)

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: program

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 am

mohamed wrote:Are this routine for all levels and for all goals?
No. Ironman's routine is for beginning weight trainers (or weight trainers coming back after a long layoff)
mohamed wrote:The second thing why must keep the volume very low like this (1 set for evey exercise)
As you get stronger, the volume will increase. In the beginning, the focus should be on getting exercise form right.

BTW - where are you working out? What kind of equipment do you have access to? Are there other weight trainers that you can get feedback from?
Thanks TimD

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am

Thx mr.stephen
And i training in gym his rate zero no feedback from personal trainer
The second thing mr.ironman tell me doing this routine for 6 month but i have read before that this begainner routine for 3 month only thus doing one of spilts routines

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: program

Post by Ironman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 am

As was pointed out it is indeed only for a beginner just starting out, which is what you said your situation was. I think you can progress on it longer than 3 months, but there is nothing wrong with doing it for just 3 months and then going to "Starting Strength".

After you do "Starting Strength" we'll worry about specific goal training. Like if you want to do bodybuilding, you can go to an upper/lower split afterwords. That's perfect for that intermediate level.

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 am

Ok this is good
But i have question about another thing why in most of bad gyms let every body join in 1 muscle group in day and training every day with one day rest at the end of the week ???

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6635
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: program

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:02 pm

mohamed wrote:Ok this is good
But i have question about another thing why in most of bad gyms let every body join in 1 muscle group in day and training every day with one day rest at the end of the week ???
Everyone wants to train like the pros do, like they read in the magazines. The problem is that, unless you're a pro and have been training like they have all along, there is no way that their program will be suitable for you. This is the same everywhere, not just in your country.
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm

When i perpare myself before starting in this routine i found some question to ask about it
1- why do rominian deadlift not the traditional deadlit or another varison of deadlift?
2- what the percentage of intensity should train with it because i will make 1RM tests?
3- can i change the exercises after time but with the same order?
4- how can i decide that this routine not make progress to me and must shift to split routne ,after 3 month abslotly

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: program

Post by Ironman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 am

mohamed wrote:When i perpare myself before starting in this routine i found some question to ask about it
1- why do rominian deadlift not the traditional deadlit or another varison of deadlift?
2- what the percentage of intensity should train with it because i will make 1RM tests?
3- can i change the exercises after time but with the same order?
4- how can i decide that this routine not make progress to me and must shift to split routne ,after 3 month abslotly
To further answer the previous question, you will be training like that when you are advanced, and have been training for several years. Those are advanced bodybuilding splits.

1- Romanian targets the hamstrings better which is the main point, and it does not fatigue the lower back as much.
2- Start out kind of light and add weight until you get to the right intensity. You should be at the point where it would be very difficult to do 1 more rep with good form. You should be able to do at least 8, but no more than 12. When you are able to do 11 or 12 reps, increase weight.
3- Yes, for example you may start out doing squats, and then later change to leg press. You just want to be doing a lot of basic compound lifts. That works the best.
4- If you go a couple weeks and can't add any weight or reps, then it's time to move on. That's only true for beginners though. You should do "Starting Strength" before moving to upper/lower though. The reason is because you will still be very much a beginner. It will also make you much stronger, and this strength will be important later. You will still continue maximum muscle growth, because you are still a beginner.

The purpose of this is so that once you have a year of training in, you will already have a good amount of muscle mass, you'll know how to do all the best exercises, and you will be easily lifting more than double what you can lift now. You will have developed the neural connections that let you recruit more muscle fiber and lift with more intensity. All that is what you need to get the most out of an upper/lower split.

Think of it like driving a car (manual transmission), if you leave it in a gear too long, your engine RPMs start getting too high, it's just not efficient and you can only go get to a certain speed. If you shift too soon, your engine will struggle to gain speed and it may stall out. So in other words, you are going up a very steep hill, when you pick up some speed, shift to 2nd gear. Don't shift from 1st gear straight to 3rd, or you will stall out and it will take much longer to get up that hill. Several years later you can be speeding down the highway in 5th gear, while everyone else is stalled at the bottom of the hill because they wanted to start in 5th.

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Sorry i ask so much but say
Romanian targets the hamstrings better which is the main point, and it does not fatigue the lower back as much.
And i know that the exercises of begainner must be compound and with rominain doesn't target gluts more than assistant muscle or it work as assistant are enough ???
Last edited by mohamed on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: program

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Ironman wrote:Think of it like driving a car (manual transmission), if you leave it in a gear too long, your engine RPMs start getting too high, it's just not efficient and you can only go get to a certain speed. If you shift too soon, your engine will struggle to gain speed and it may stall out. So in other words, you are going up a very steep hill, when you pick up some speed, shift to 2nd gear. Don't shift from 1st gear straight to 3rd, or you will stall out and it will take much longer to get up that hill. Several years later you can be speeding down the highway in 5th gear, while everyone else is stalled at the bottom of the hill because they wanted to start in 5th.
Great analogy!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Re: program

Post by Ironman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 am

mohamed wrote:Sorry i ask so much but say
Romanian targets the hamstrings better which is the main point, and it does not fatigue the lower back as much.
And i know that the exercises of begainner must be compound and with rominain doesn't target gluts more than assistant muscle or it work as assistant are enough ???
If you are doing Romanian deadlift and squats or leg press, you are working the glutes plenty. No need to worry about that.

mohamed
Novice
Novice
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: program

Post by mohamed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am

The finally thing i remember it now that after 1 month will be ramadan month ( it month to all muslims must stop eating or drink any thing from 5 AM to 7 pm
What i should i do in this time lower the (intensity/volume/frequntly)or what???

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: program

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 pm

mohamed wrote:The finally thing i remember it now that after 1 month will be ramadan month ( it month to all muslims must stop eating or drink any thing from 5 AM to 7 pm
What i should i do in this time lower the (intensity/volume/frequntly)or what???
I've exercised while fasting without any problems, but exercising hard without drinking liquids is something else. If you break a sweat while exercising, you need to take a drink of water. You should do light workouts in the evening during Ramadam - exercising hard will disrupt your sleeping habits.
Thanks TimD

Post Reply