Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

mattiebrown7777
n00b
n00b

Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss

Post by mattiebrown7777 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 am

What It Entails

Basically, a Mediterranean diet calls for people to eat a great deal of fresh fruit, plant foods, fish, poultry, some dairy products, while using extra virgin olive oil as the primary source of fat. Also, a moderate amount of eggs can be eaten each month, while red meat is to be avoided as much as possible. Red meat can be eaten in low amounts, but meals should not be centered around it because of how it affects the heart. The Mediterranean diet is meant to lower the risk of heart disease, since olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats, which have been known to reduce this risk substantially. This also reduces the body's cholesterol levels, which is also a positive thing for the body.

BostRedSox12
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss

Post by BostRedSox12 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:52 am

In my opinion, the Mediterranean diet is great for older people since it can lower cholesterols and it promotes heart health. I think this article https://www.dietspotlight.com/mediterranean-diet/ is an excellent resource for those interested in the diet.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:39 am

mattiebrown7777 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 am
... red meat is to be avoided as much as possible. Red meat can be eaten in low amounts, but meals should not be centered around it because of how it affects the heart.
Fiction

Red meat isn't much of a health issue when it come to cardiovascular system.

A good example of that is...

The Ketogenic Diet

Due to a metabolic condition, I have been on the Ketogenic Diet for over two years.

The diet is composed of 70% Fat, up to 25% Protein and limited to 50 gram of Carbohydrate a day.

I consume a lot of red meat. My cholesterol levels are excellent; which fall in line with the research on the Ketogenic Diet.

The primary cause of cardiovascular issues is...

High Carbohydrate Intake

Individual on a High Carbohydrate Diet's cholesterol levels are marginal to poor.
mattiebrown7777 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 am
The Mediterranean diet is meant to lower the risk of heart disease, since olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats, which have been known to reduce this risk substantially. This also reduces the body's cholesterol levels, which is also a positive thing for the body.
The Mediterranean Diet

It is a good diet. A large part of that has to do with a larger intake of fats, specifically Oliver Oil; an Omega 9.

Lack of Knowledge

You need to do more homework on this; reading and obtaining practical "real life" experience.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 am

BostRedSox12 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:52 am
In my opinion, the Mediterranean diet is great for older people since it can lower cholesterols and it promotes heart health. I think this article https://www.dietspotlight.com/mediterranean-diet/ is an excellent resource for those interested in the diet.
Blood Lipid Profile

Lowering Cholesterol is a vague statement with no meaning.

Your Total Cholesterol Reading is a non-issue.

Your LDL (incorrectly labeled as "Bad") may or may not be "Bad".

The determinate factor of if you LDL is good or bad is the Particle Size Percentage breakdown.

High Particle A is good. High Particle B is bad.

The Two Big Numbers

The most important number on a Blood Lipid Profile are...

1) HDL: High is good, low is bad.

2) Triglycerides: Low is good, high is bad.

The Triglyceride:HDL Ratio tell you if you have more good Particle A or bad Particle B.

You need to do more homework on this, as well.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:58 am

essentialproducts wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am
To get in shape, your fitting calorie consumption level depends on your sex and weight: Overweight ladies in the vicinity of 130 and 210 pounds ought to lessen calories to around 1,500 calories for every day. Ladies 210 to 300 pounds lessen to 1,900 calories. Overweight men in the vicinity of 150 and 220 pounds diminish to 1,900 calories day by day.
Misinformation

You clearly have no idea in prescribing calorie consumption.

The primary key in weight loss is to expend more calories than you consume.

That means your first need to know how many calories an individual is consuming. That is best accomplished by a "Three Day Recall"; writing down everything consumed in three day and dividing it by three to ascertain you Average Daily Caloric Intake.

Once that is obtained, research show that a caloric intake of approximately 20% ensure you maintain more muscle mass while burning more body fat.

You, as well, need to do your homework.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.